Problems With Connecting to Certain Websites in Mint 14

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
efinlaw

Problems With Connecting to Certain Websites in Mint 14

Post by efinlaw »

Ok, so I have had this ongoing problem with my network. Before today, I was running a dual boot of Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7. I have only just recently got rid of Ubuntu and installed Mint 14 because I was unable to access certain websites in Ubuntu.

Here is a full description of my problem that I posted in the ubuntu forums.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2107461

Since I could not find a good solution to this problem, I decided to install Mint to see if I would have the same issues. Turns out nothing has changed. I still have no real idea what is causing this to happen so I was hoping I could get some feedback from the Mint community. Since that thread from Ubuntu forums died, I tried to go to my university's library to try to use their connection. I am able to access all of the sites I had problems with on the school's network so I can narrow down the source of the issue as being my network at home.

However, since I have no problem accessing the internet using Windows 7, it most likely has to deal with my network settings in Linux rather than the network itself.
If anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated. If you need me to post any of my settings or anything like that just ask. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheForumTroll

Re: Problems With Connecting to Certain Websites in Mint 14

Post by TheForumTroll »

Looking in the Ubuntuforum thread I cannot tell what the problem is. I think I saw you wrote that you are not an advance user, so this might be a bit technical, but could you try looking at what happens with Wireshark?

It is not that hard to use (install, run as root (gksudo wireshark) and capture while trying to access a site that doesn't work). If you want to post the capture log here, make sure not to connect to a site with a login while you capture packets (otherwise it might show up in the log).

Let me know if you need help using it if you give it a go. My guess is that it is a problem with you routers settings, but who knows.

Return to “Networking”