FTP Permissions [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackmason

FTP Permissions [SOLVED]

Post by jackmason »

I installed vsftpd on Mint 14. I am able to connect with my username and password. However, when I try to upload a file into /home, /home/myacct, or any other directory, I get a 550 permission error message. Apparently, there is some permission I need to set before I can upload files? I have set the permissions on /home and /home/myacct to drwxrwxrwx so that is not it.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: FTP Permissions

Post by altair4 »

I haven't used vsftp in such a long time all I have are little cryptic notes I've kept. See if the following helps:

Somewhere in /etc/vsftpd.conf is a line that looks something like this:
# Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
#write_enable=YES
Remove the # sign from the last line so that it looks like this:
# Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
write_enable=YES
Then restart the service:

Code: Select all

sudo service vsftpd restart
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
jackmason

Re: FTP Permissions

Post by jackmason »

Thank you very much. That did solve it.

If you have not been using vsftpd, is there a better ftp server we should look at using?

Thanks again.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: FTP Permissions [SOLVED]

Post by altair4 »

Sorry, I don't use any ftp. I used vsftpd back in the day when no matter what I did I couldn't get samba to work. Now all I use is Samba even in an all Linux network.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”