problems with VNC and VINO

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

problems with VNC and VINO

Postby reswob on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 pm

OK, I hope this has already been solved and I just haven't found the right search terms to locate the answer.

I have two Mint boxes. I found several posts discussing how to enable remote desktop so I can connect to one from the other.

On one machine, I ran 'vino-preferences', clicked 'Allow users to view your desktop' and 'Allow user to control your desktop' then unchecked confirm access and then checked require password (and gave it a password).

On the other machine I installed and then launced the Remote Desktop Viewer. I clicked on Connect, chose VNC as the protocol, gave it the IP of the other machine, clicked on the connect button and then.... I got the message below:

An error occurred
Connection to host 192.168.X.X was closed.

I googled the error and it said that the above message in conjuction with using VNC usually "" Your "Hosts" filter has been deleted, or mis-configured. The "Hosts" parameter tells VNC Server which IP addresses are allowed to connect to it, and by default it is configured to allow all IP addresses. If you've re-configured it, or deleted it, VNC Server will refuse all connections""

I tried several times, even from the host itself to connect to the local host. I install x11vnc to see if that would work, but I get the same error.

a search on my mint box does not show any vino specific hosts file. Should I edit the local hosts file? Is there a firewall setting I'm supposed to make?

What am I missing?

Thanks.
reswob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: problems with VNC and VINO [SOLVED]

Postby reswob on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:17 pm

OK, what I was missing was dirt simple: vino wasn't started on the remote server.

sudo /usr/lib/vino/vino-server and voila! I can connect.
reswob
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other networking topics