Having trouble opening videos from network computers

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InsectGrain

Having trouble opening videos from network computers

Post by InsectGrain »

HI,
I recently installed a fresh copy of Mint 15 64-bit verison. I started to test it out and I stumbled on one problem. I'm trying to open video files from a network computer which runs Win XP. The file manager mounts the drive and displays everything well. However, when I try to open the video file (either with VLC or totem), it crashes. When I open it with VLC, it doesn't load the file and the GUI hangs; after i close it, the VLC notification icon remains until I unmount the drive (when i do, it shows a GUI "Volume is busy" with 'gvfsd-fuse' being the problem). When i try it with totem, it shows me a gray GUI that I must close by force; when i unmount the drive, the "Volume is busy" GUI says 'totem' is the problem. I must note that totem works correctly most of the time, but from time to time crashes; VLC seldomly works.
Can anyone help as to why I'm having these crashes? Is it a network problem? VLC? or Is it something with Olivia?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Having trouble opening videos from network computers

Post by caf4926 »

Can you copy the file from the remote PC to your Mint machine?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

InsectGrain

Post by InsectGrain »

Thanks for the feedback.
Copying seems to work ok.
I tried the 'cifs' method and it works great :) no problems so far.
Hopefully they can fix this problem soon.

Return to “Networking”