Where is my VPNC?

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Where is my VPNC?

Postby owen_wade on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:33 am

Simple, kind of embarrassing question: I installed VPNC on my Mint 14 machine but can't find it.
Software manager says it's installed but I can't find it.
I checked the application menu, did a search etc but it doesn't turn up.

Where the heck is it located so I can set it up etc and use it?

sorry I'm kind of new to mint and VPNs.

I could install another one perhaps, openVPN for example, but worry I'll end up with the same problem.
Thanks.
owen_wade
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Where is my VPNC?

Postby wavespot on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 am

Hhi

I'll make the assuption you have installed vpnc package. This is a command line only package, don't really know if there's a GUI out there.

So, try this :

sudo vpnc

in a terminal window
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby wavespot on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:40 am

TIP : to figure out what files a package could have installed , run dpkg -L <package>.

So I figure out about vpnc there's a 'vpnc' executable file, but also 'pcf2vpnc' and cisco-decrypt. Don't know what for by the way.... Hope that's help.
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby owen_wade on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:20 am

Oh! It's command line only.

Ok, I tried the terminal and it asked for my password and then IPSec gateway address.
So it seems to work. Great. That problem is solved, thanks!

Is it easy to use? Do I just follow the steps and enter the info?
Do I have to enter the info every time?

Is there another GUI application that people can recommend? Open VPN maybe? I used the cisco client on windows and mac and didn't really like it.
owen_wade
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wavespot on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:46 am

owen_wade wrote:Oh! It's command line only.

Ok, I tried the terminal and it asked for my password and then IPSec gateway address.
So it seems to work. Great. That problem is solved, thanks!

Is it easy to use? Do I just follow the steps and enter the info?
Do I have to enter the info every time?

Is there another GUI application that people can recommend? Open VPN maybe? I used the cisco client on windows and mac and didn't really like it.

I use OpenVPN myself : it's natively supported by network-manager (in the KDE edition, sorry I didn't check on the other one) with a GUI, you could save your certificate, and all your settings. Works very well.
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby owen_wade on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:56 am

Just installed OpenVPN on Mint 14 (32 bit) using software manager but there's no GUI. Guess I'll keep looking for alternative client software.
Maybe Shrewsoft? https://www.shrew.net/software
I just need to be able to connect to my office's VPN sometimes. Usually crucial, time-sensitive times. But it's up to me to figure out how.

Another idea: are the non-gui VPNs hard to use? Do I just start them with the sudo command and then input the relevant information when requested, then just go use my browser normally to access my company's site? Then reset and quit termainal when I'm done?

(followup- went and tried vpnc in terminal, entered group username etc, seemed ok but failed every time when I entered group password. Tried several times. Still looking for solution, GUI or non, but just need a basic client.)
owen_wade
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wavespot on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:59 am

owen_wade wrote:Just installed OpenVPN on Mint 14 (32 bit) using software manager but there's no GUI. Guess I'll keep looking for alternative client software.
Maybe Shrewsoft? https://www.shrew.net/software
I just need to be able to connect to my office's VPN sometimes. Usually crucial, time-sensitive times. But it's up to me to figure out how.

Another idea: are the non-gui VPNs hard to use? Do I just start them with the sudo command and then input the relevant information when requested, then just go use my browser normally to access my company's site? Then reset and quit termainal when I'm done?

(followup- went and tried vpnc in terminal, entered group username etc, seemed ok but failed every time when I entered group password. Tried several times. Still looking for solution, GUI or non, but just need a basic client.)

There's no gui from the package, it supported (so configurable) through network manager : Add New connection/VPN and choose OpenVPN in the list.

http://imgur.com/88VUcY6

It's in french, but you get the idea. Nevertheless, I guess it's not that hard to configure one by hand, but I never tried, can't tell you.
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby owen_wade on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:54 am

I've installed OpenVPN but it does not appear as an option in the network manager.
owen_wade
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Where is my VPNC? configure & follow up

Postby owen_wade on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:01 am

Anybody know how I can configure my openVPN in the network manager? Still no word on this.
I only see options for manually changing settings, entering addresses and passwords by hand etc. Thank you.

FOLLOW UP:
looks like I need to configure a way for the openVPN package to communicate with my network manager. Another poster on another topic for Mint16 suggested I (actually the original poster in the other post) do this in terminal:
sudo aptitude install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

I did, it appears to have fixed the current issue. I'm including this for the benefit of others looking for the same solution, will post updates of my progress. Not solved but looks promising.
owen_wade
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other networking topics