Write permission to a Windows share

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markpotts

Write permission to a Windows share

Post by markpotts »

I have been trying to map a Windows (Vista) shared folder in Linux Mint (16). I can mount the share and read all the files however I cannot obtain write permission for these files. I have searched all the posts I can find but cannot resolve the problem.

The command I use to mount the share is as follows (some parameters may not be necessary):

$ sudo mount -t cifs //server-ip/Windows-share /home/user/folder -o username=Windows-user,
password=password,uid=1000,gid=1000,sec=ntlm

When I check permissions for the folder and its files using "ls -dl /home/user/folder" they are (respectively):

drwxr-xr-x
-rwxr-xr-x

The output of "net usershare info --long" is:

[folder]
path=/folder
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=n

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Write permission to a Windows share

Post by DrHu »

If you don'w automount the ntfs file shares, then checking the windows vs Linux permissions might help clear the waters..
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g ... rmissions/
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-manual/
markpotts

Post by markpotts »

Thanks for the tips. The "ntfs-3g" driver you linked to seems to be for accessing local NTFS drives such as on dual boot system. I am mounting a Windows network share. If I substitute "ntfs-3g" for "cifs" in my mount command it does not open the share and gives "No such file or directory".
markpotts

Post by markpotts »

I have done some more testing and found that mounting the Windows share causes permissions to change. Prior to the mount I can save files to the Linux folder. After I have performed the mount I get a permissions error.
markpotts

Re: Write permission to a Windows share [SOLVED]

Post by markpotts »

The problem was permissions on the Windows share. I checked "Full Control" on the Windows folder Properties->Sharing->Advanced Sharing->Permissions tab and can now write to the files without a problem.

Return to “Networking”