Mint 16 connection to Windows Domain

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SRFlanigan

Mint 16 connection to Windows Domain

Post by SRFlanigan »

Hi. Let me start by saying that though I have known about Linux for many years, I am an extreme noobie here. I just installed Mint 16 Cinnamon about two weeks ago and have been trying to find a concrete answer to the following.

I have an existing Windows network, (Domain) set up at my house and am wondering if I can connect my Linux box to the domain. I have read about PAM and Samba but want to get pointed in the right direction rather than to start my Linux experience with trial and error.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tbplayer

Re: Mint 16 connection to Windows Domain

Post by tbplayer »

You want to start by installing samba. You will need to configure it, either through a interface tool or by modifying your smb.conf.
SRFlanigan

Post by SRFlanigan »

Thanks TBPlayer for the input. I am more of a Windows guru than Linux and I wanted to make sure I was heading the right direction. BTW, I like your "Abby Road" photo. What a coincidence as I was listening to this Beetles album, (CD) last night when I posted my question here. :)
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

If you are just needing to access file shares from your Windows Domain, there is really no benefit to "joining" the domain as you would normally do with Windows. Y ou also do not need to install the Samba server portion as one of the previous posters suggested. You should be able to browse to your Windows server and provide the appropriate user credentials as you would on Windows to access file shares. I believe the samba client software is already installed by default.

Return to “Networking”