VPN client

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
astro_sarah

VPN client

Post by astro_sarah »

I'm new to Linux mint, but have previously used Windows 7 and ubuntu.
For work i need to set up a VPN client. I used Cisco in the past which had a nice gui that you could use (as opposed to getting the connection set up from the command line).
I went into the software manager and installed vpnc. But I can't find it in my list of applications. Also not sure if I have to install some drivers or something to VPN to work (like I had to for wireless).
I'd like to know what I can do to get a VPN client working on my Linux Mint Petra 64bit.
Cheers,
Sarah
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rxd

Re: VPN client

Post by rxd »

The lack of VPN client support in Linux is lame...
Eternally

Post by Eternally »

Its because of the problem that in the market there are very few companies that support VPN on linux because its always the same excuse that to few people use linux, I personally use PureVPN for linux it has the best support from what I have seen from VPN providers. I have never tried VPN with wireless on Linux but it should work pretty good with the network manager.

Petra does have VPN PPTP installed by default, if you want more bigger options then there is always OpenVPN.

Command: sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn
rxd

Post by rxd »

OpenVPN support is a joke. If that's Linux's answer no wonder it is stuck at less than 2% market share.

What VPN routers support OpenVPN. Oh yea, nobody.

Even if they did, which they don't, do you expect companies to replace their equipment so a couple of Linux users can connect. Get real. It's pathetic. Linux will never get ANY consideration with this pathetic VPN support.
Edward M. Grant

Post by Edward M. Grant »

rxd wrote:Even if they did, which they don't, do you expect companies to replace their equipment so a couple of Linux users can connect. Get real. It's pathetic. Linux will never get ANY consideration with this pathetic VPN support.
Anyway, for those who don't just want to 'Linux sucks!' rage-quit, the actual solution is to install network-manager-openconnect, which supports whatever wacky pseudo-VPN Cisco uses. Or you could just use a real standard like IPSEC.
rxd

Post by rxd »

I must have missed when L2TP IPSec became a fake VPN standard....
rxd

Post by rxd »

Just curious Sarah, did you ever get this to work? I have the same problem...
macrohard

Post by macrohard »

The biggest problem I have had with OpenVPN is the ability to route the traffic properly after I have started a VPN connection.

Case in point, I have setup OpenVPN through my Untangle firewall distribution. To get it to work effectively, I had to setup a DynDNS account for the WAN IP address that is on the external interface of my Untangle Box. I never had a problem setting up the OpenVPN server on Untangle, created the certificates, and configured OpenVPN for Windows. I can set the rules in Untangle that when I make the connection, all VPN traffic is routed into the box and if I surf the Internet, the traffic is routed through the VPN and out the Untangle box to the Internet. (Full tunnel, not split tunneling like some VPN clients do).

I could always establish a OpenVPN connection to my Untangle box running Ubuntu, but could never get the traffic to properly route once the VPN connection is made.
rxd

Post by rxd »

Has anyone got L2TP working with a Cisco device?
toughluck

Post by toughluck »

Are we talking about VPNC or about Cisco AnyConnect? In the latter case, you have two choices:
1. Install AnyConnect for Linux (your IT dept will provide this).
2. Install openconnect, network-manager-openconnect and network-manager-openconnect-gnome

In the case of VPNC, you should install vpnc, network-manager-vpnc and network-manager-vpnc-gnome.

Mind you Sarah, I'm having problems with both AnyConnect and openconnect right now, so I can't vouch for your company's VPN infrastructure.
reeby

Post by reeby »

I'm new to MInt (and Linux for that matter) Could someone point me to the best solution for PURE VPN. Like, is there a graphic interface like the one they have for WIndows where you can pick options and all that?
paxmark1

Post by paxmark1 »

For me I just had to install openvpn and on the command line

sudo openvpn blahblah.ovpn

And I am up and running

where the blahblah is the certificates and ciphers supplied via the vpn network site I am logging into.

Supplying the .ovpn should be be part of the technical support the vpn provider should provide. Unless they are one trick Windows clowns. In that case the question is - do I want to hang around with incompetent clowns?

Return to “Networking”