Internet faster on Windows than Mint 16

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vitdoc

Internet faster on Windows than Mint 16

Post by vitdoc »

I have a desktop with dual boot via GRUB with Mint 16 and Windows 8.1. I have a fast cable Internet set up with about 100 Megs down. I connect directly to the modem with Ethernet. When I test my Internet speed with Speedtest.net I get the full 100 Megs with Windows. Doing the same test with Mint I get around 7 Megs.
Same hardware why the difference?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintybits

Re: Internet faster on Windows than Mint 16

Post by mintybits »

Different drivers. 7Mb is very slow, tho, so something isn't right. What is your hardware exactly?
vitdoc

Post by vitdoc »

ASUS board about 2 yrs old with mostly Intel chips. Direct cable connection from new NetGear AC1900 wireless router from UBee cable modem.
Windows 8.1 and Mint 16 updated. I suspect some weird software issue with the Networking. But I haven't a clue what it might be.
In the past I have gotten up to 20 megs down with Linux when I had a 20 meg connection. So the hardware should support at least that. Now only 7 down.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

No other traffic on your network? Check System Monitor.
You might try other linux versions (via live DVD) to see which work and which don't on your hardware. It isn't Mint 16 per se.
I don't know, sorry.

Return to “Networking”