Help for VNC connection wanted, please!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Centauri39
Level 4
Level 4

Help for VNC connection wanted, please!

Post by Centauri39 »

(2 times edited by me because of typos, to fix them)

Hi folks!
Because of the XP support, ending this april, I moved on from XP Home SP3 to Mint 16 Mate on my desktop computer (PC).
It's working quite ok for me, but I've got a huge problem connecting my Mint-PC to my XP Home SP3 netbook and vice versa.
The netbook btw. will have Mint 16 MATE in the near future, too.
Both computers are connected to my router by wireless LAN.
Additionally, the desktop computer is connected by LAN cable, which I use only for Wake on LAN (WOL).
That's why the LAN adapter card is diabled. Anyway WOL is still working.

When both computers were running XP Home SP3, I used to connect them by means of UltraVNC, which includes a build-in file transfer feature.
I know, there's TeamViewer, but to access my PC when I'm not at home, I preferred UltraVNC.
On my XP, I also used to run FreeSSHd as a SSH server and PuTTY as a SSH client.
SSH is supposed to be used only for connections over the internet and a so called "MyFritz" account (working as a DynDNS).
Within my home network, I don't need and don't want SSH.
Everything was working great in all those years of XP.

So, I'm trying to have the same features on Mint 16 MATE, now.
Unfortunately, there is no UltraVNC for Mint.

Looking for alternatives for Mint, I managed to setup openSSH, Remmina and vino.
OpenSSH is running anyway.
Because usually vino is running on port 5900 and I wanted to improve security, I changed this to another port number, using the "dconf-Editor".
Now, I was able to access both my PC and my netbook from one another.

Using my netbook, I want to access "My Computer", because I want to be able to transfer files from whatever drive or folder of the XP netbook to the Mint PC.
Using my PC, I want to have the same options in the opposite direction, i.e. access "Computer" on Mint to reach any drive or folder there.

But when I used Remmina, I could only access "Settings and documents" of the netbook.
Using UltraVNC on my netbook, I was able to access and see my Mint-PC.
Unfortunaltely, I forgot to test the file transfer feature, so right now, I'm not sure, which folder of the Mint PC I had there.

Then I noticed there's no file transfer in vino and decided to move on to x11vnc.
That's when everything began to fail.

I uninstalled vino, after disabling its startup and after disabling the desktop sharing options in vino-preferences.

Then I installed x11vnc, created the password file in ~/.vnc and tried to start the x11vnc server like this:
I opened X11VNC Server from within the section "Internet" of the applications list of "Menu".
Then I changed the port number to what I used before in the "dconf-Editor" and tried all combinations of the options of the appearing window.
I mean, I enabled or disabled...
SSL
Listen to localhost
In "File transfer", I selected UltraVNC, because this is still installed on my XP netbook.
A few seconds later, the "Properties" window of x11vnc appeared with "Show instructions" and "Accept connections" enabled.
It also said this (for my question here, I replaced the mentioned port by XXXX):
The x11vnc program failed to start!

Maybe there is another VNC server
already listening on port XXXX?

You will need to start over after
you make sure x11vnc can start.
So in the end, there's no running vnc server in the task manager of Mint, but a zombie task for each time I tried to start x11vnc.
Each time I try, there's another zombie task added to the task manager.

Using this command,...

Code: Select all

netstat -telpn
... the port is not in use by any other tool and what's even more strange, I'm getting this message about the failing x11vnc start for whatever port number I'm trying.

Now, to come to the end of my story, I 'd like to know how to get this fixed, please?
Please note one more thing:
Please be patient, because regarding Mint, I'm a beginner and your advice should match my version, which is Mint 16 MATE.
Unfortunately, everything I found on Google so far, refused to work, because of wrong commands, wrong pathes, wrong syntax, or guides simply being too old.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
txba516
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help for VNC connection wanted, please!

Post by txba516 »

Have you tried using TightVNC instead? There is a server package available in the Ubuntu universe repository if it doesn't show up in the Mint Package manager already.
Centauri39
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help for VNC connection wanted, please!

Post by Centauri39 »

Yes I did, but it didn't work either.
Reason unknown.
The only thing working for me on Mint so far is vino as a server and Remmina as a client.
But none of them offers file transfer the way I want.

Return to “Networking”