[SOLVED]Connecting QNAS Wirelessly to Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED]Connecting QNAS Wirelessly to Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by gael33 »

Okay, I'm a computer user (I'm a writer) not a fixer, therefore I need some help from those of you who are technically minded. I bought a QNAS-TS-212-E and want to connect it to my computer. I can get into it using the Web Browser but I want to access the device without using the internet because it's painfully slow. The QNAP is connected to the Sky wireless hub using a ethernet cable ... my partner connects easily from her PC because she needs Windows 7 Pro for her work ... I on the other hand have no idea how Samba works, although I have watched a few YouTube videos and read a couple of self help manuals on the subject, but it's still a mystery. I could in all fairness use an ethernet cable to connect the QNAP to my computer as it's only about 6 feet away but I have heard from a guy who knew a 'little' about this, and he said it's not as simple as plugging a cable in and presto! He did ask me to type this line ... He said, "I simply added the following line to my .profile in my $HOME directory on my Kali boxes."

CODE: SELECT ALL
/usr/bin/gvfs-mount smb://$LOGNAME@nasty2/home

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to add that line into the relevant file on my computer. I would be eternally grateful.

gael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Connecting QNAS Wirelessly to Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by altair4 »

What's not clear in your post is if you can connect to the device through Nemo. Open a terminal and enter this command:

Code: Select all

nemo smb://login-name@nasty2/home
Where "login-name" is the user name the NAS requires for authentication.

If successful when it opens to the share you can bookmark it so it shows up on the left side panel of Nemo sort of like a Windows "mapped drive".
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Connecting QNAS Wirelessly to Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by gael33 »

altair4 wrote:What's not clear in your post is if you can connect to the device through Nemo. Open a terminal and enter this command:

Code: Select all

nemo smb://login-name@nasty2/home
Where "login-name" is the user name the NAS requires for authentication.

If successful when it opens to the share you can bookmark it so it shows up on the left side panel of Nemo sort of like a Windows "mapped drive".
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I did as you advised and it worked, so thank you very much :)

gael.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath

Return to “Networking”