Anyone have modern (non-vnc) remote desktop working with Ci?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
treuben

Anyone have modern (non-vnc) remote desktop working with Ci?

Post by treuben »

I have been trying for days to get an nx or rdp remote desktop going with Mint 17 RC Qiana (though I have seen many references to this and earlier versions of Mint and Ubuntu so I think the issue predates that). I have SSH working fine.. with X forwarding even.. though via ssh or directly makes no difference. All I see is a black/blank screen (following my sesman-X11rdp login screen and successful login). Does anyone know how to get a remote desktop going with rdp or nx without resorting to ye olde vnc underneath? Any help would be most appreciated! I'm sure that many people would like this facility.. Often Mint makes for a nice home server or second machine and good quality, modern remote desktop solution would help out in those applications no end. Tried gnome-session-fallback, cinnamon2d DE's too, all with the same result.

Thanks and all the best!

server: mint 17 RC 64bit

p.s. I have tried OSX, Mint and Windows on the client side so I think it's pretty safe to say that the problem is server side. 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
treuben

Re: Anyone have modern (non-vnc) remote desktop working?

Post by treuben »

For anyone curious I had to do this to get ssh X forwarding working on my box:

(not that you need X forwarding over ssh necessarily but it might be nice to be able to start some graphical apps remotely anyway while you can't see your pretty Cinnamon desktop!)

Do this from the machine that you are ssh'ing from:

$ xauth list $DISPLAY

You’ll get something like
machine1:10 mit-magic-cookie-1 4d22408a71a55b41ccd1657d377923ae

Now ssh to the other machine (machine2) and tell it what the cookie is by adding it to the authentication list.

$ xauth add :10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 4d22408a71a55b41ccd1657d377923ae

$ echo $DISPLAY

The echo command should show you that machine1 is authenticated.

..and make sure that your .Xauthority file is owned by you (not root) and chmod it 600.

A step by step guide for getting ssh X forwarding to work is here:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/x11-connec ... ntication/

Return to “Networking”