How do I compress folder on network drive?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bill_m

How do I compress folder on network drive?

Post by bill_m »

I have a network drive (SMB) on a Mint 13 system. When I mount it on a Mint 17 system, I can read and write files with no problems. However, when I try to make a zip file copy of a folder (right click on folder and select Compress) I get an error message "Could not create the archive, You don't have permission to create an archive in this folder". When I change the archive location to desktop, I get the same message. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I compress folder on network drive?

Post by altair4 »

That's a good question. I don't know why it doesn't work the way you did it.

I was able to get it done however

*** First I started with a bug report that on the surface doesn't apply: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1077478

Since ftp and smb in Nautilus/Nemo/Whatever are all controlled by gvfs I guessed this was a gvfs problem so I mounted it the "old" way temporarily to my Public folder:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t cifs //bravo.local/downloads $HOME/Public -o guest,uid=1000,nounix
Then I went to my Public folder and compressed a random folder and it worked.

I'm guessing that it's a limitation of the gvfs type of smb mount.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
bill_m

Post by bill_m »

Thanks for verifying the problem is the network mount. It strikes me that remounting the drive is the long way round. Seems like I should be able to create simple script that compresses a folder on the mounted drive. Do you know what program nemo uses to perform compression, or better yet where I can find the scrpt it uses? Seems I need to find my way around Mint better. Thanks,

Bill
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Well, it's not really remounting it it's mounting it outside the gvfs environment. I dug a little deeper into this and finially got to gvfs itself over in Gnomelandia: Can't create compressed archives or raw disk images on SMB share

The title of the bug report is somewhat of a misnomer since this only happens with a gvfs mount of a samba share.

Anyway, to answer your last question "file-roller" is the application nemo uses to compress using the nemo-fileroller plugin to integrate it into nemo.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
bill_m

Post by bill_m »

OK mounting. I was really questioning whether that step was needed. Opening the network drive in a terminal and entering "zip -r foldername.zip foldername" accomplished what I needed. Which kind of leads me to think that it is not due to the mounting but the logic in file-roller. Which the discussion you linked to seems to imply. But I guess it could be argued either way. Anyway the next step to try is will a very simple script will work. Thanks very much for your input.

Bill
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Opening the network drive in a terminal and entering "zip -r foldername.zip foldername" accomplished what I needed. Which kind of leads me to think that it is not due to the mounting but the logic in file-roller.
Then again it could be either something with Nemo or something about Nemo and smb gvfs mounts.

If I access either through "network" or the actual mount point at /run/user... through nemo I get the following error when I try to compress:
ArchiveThruNemo.png
But if I access the mount point in the XFE file manager ( XFE cannot mount remote shares ) I can compress without issue.

But XFE uses xarchiver not file roller so maybe you are right.

Return to “Networking”