PIA VPN - Internet Connection now won't work without VPN?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carlthayer

PIA VPN - Internet Connection now won't work without VPN?

Post by carlthayer »

Hi

I have Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon on a Lenovo T430 and recently installed Private Internet Access via their superb application
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/f ... linux-beta

This all works very well; I can even get it to autostart after booting; and have successfully used on HP Elitebook and others. My problem unlike most of the related topics on this forum is actually that after installing PIA I cannot actually connect to the internet "normally"; i.e. in the absence of the VPN after disconnecting / exiting from PIA. I have hostname not found and DNS resolve errors.. I have searched the forums and tried entering DNS servers, editing NetworkManger configs etc but to no avail. There are occasions where it is useful *not* to have VPN running but now I cannot find a way to resolve this other rather re-installing Linux. This problem does not occur on the Elitebook.

Any help much appreciated..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
konrad
Level 2
Level 2

Re: PIA VPN - Internet Connection now won't work without VPN

Post by konrad »

In terminal try:

Code: Select all

sudo resolvconf -u
carlthayer

Post by carlthayer »

konrad wrote:In terminal try:

sudo resolvconf -u
thanks!
hotalot

Post by hotalot »

I tried that command and this is the answer:

armando@Zeus ~ $ sudo resolvconf -u
/etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc: Warning: /etc/resolv.conf is not a symbolic link to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

Cannot navigate out of vpn.
Marcthilbault

Post by Marcthilbault »

I also receive the same error when attempting to use:

sudo resolvconf -u
Anyone have a suggestion or insight into the problem, I am running mint 17.1 and Private internet access client V 46
Marcthilbault

Post by Marcthilbault »

Marcthilbault wrote:I also receive the same error when attempting to use:

sudo resolvconf -u
Anyone have a suggestion or insight into the problem, I am running mint 17.1 and Private internet access client V 46
I should add that I have just noticed that for some odd reason when I am not running the PIA VPN I can still search duckduckgo. However, google and other search engines do not work nor am I able to connect to app-get in the terminal. Needless to say this only makes the problem stranger to me.
Saythe

Re: PIA VPN - Internet Connection now won't work without VPN?

Post by Saythe »

I had the exact same issue with Linux Mint and PIA VPN. I finally have my Internet working again after removing the resolv.conf file and recreating the symbolic link.

sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
sudo ln -s ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
sudo resolvconf -u
Thanks to: http://askubuntu.com/questions/622470/d ... untu-14-04
micjustin33

Re: PIA VPN - Internet Connection now won't work without VPN?

Post by micjustin33 »

Check your network setting after disabling VPN.

Return to “Networking”