VPN HowTo setup

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bombom
Level 1
Level 1

VPN HowTo setup

Post by bombom »

This weekend I upgraded my Linux Mint Petra to Linux Mint Rebecca to get support until 2019.

I would like to setup a VPN connection towards an external VPN server. In the Petra version it was pretty straight forward, as there was a user interface for adding all VPN config options.
If I navigate to the same location in the Rebecca version, I have the option to configure a VPN connection, however it only gives me the option to select a kind of VPN config file.

So my question is: why there is no such user interface anymore (as it was in Petra)? How do I get it back? If that is not possible, how does such a VPN config file look like?

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bombom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VPN HowTo setup

Post by bombom »

Got the answer:

there are 2 dialogs for configuring VPN:
- Network settings
- Network connections

In the 1st one, I only got this file import thing, which I do not know the format.
In the 2nd one there is an Add button, which gives you the dialog which I was used to.
harry26

Post by harry26 »

i think user interface available are there how would you can say this?
harry26

Post by harry26 »

yes, i think problem in network settings.check the all config settings on the network.
Eric2.0

Post by Eric2.0 »

I got the VPN setup menu under the WiFi applet 'NetWork Connections' I entered all the info there and pressed save and boom...VPN works a charm.

BTW I used PrivateInternetAccess for the VPN server and followed the 'RoboLinux' client guide. I did EXACTLY what it said to do and I've had no problems. Also Mint 17.1.

PIA seems to be a VPN worth your trust....I trust they are doing what they say they will do, on their end, I'm sure doing my part on my end and it has passed all the test for DNS leaks and such.

Credit to member 'Peirre' for the RoboLinux recommendation.
laurenaria10

Post by laurenaria10 »

harry26 wrote:yes, i think problem in network settings.check the all config settings on the network.
Yeah, i am also agree with this statement that problem might be in config settings, however here is some normal steps that we usually follow for setting vpn.
Step 1: Setup needs
Step 2: Apply DHCP services
Step 3: produce associate enterprise certificate authority
Step 4: Install IAS
Step 5: configure IAS
Step 6: produce a remote access policy
Step 7: set up the VPN server
Step 8: Associate the VPN server with the DHCP server
Step 9: set up your remote shopper
Step 10: check the shopper affiliation
Step 11: Alternate VPN configuration choices

The above are the most general steps however you just have to check your configuration setting.

Return to “Networking”