HTTPS sites not responding

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gd_willy

HTTPS sites not responding

Post by gd_willy »

I've recently installed Linux Mint 17.1 Cinammon 64 bit on a Dell Inspiron 531s with an AMD64 processor. I'm connecting to the internet by tethering to my smartphone. I'm able to view websites using HTTP (such as this forum) but I'm getting no response from sites using HTTPS, such as google, gmail, etc. I've tried this on the Firefox 34.0 that shipped with Mint, Chromium, and Opera. No http status codes are returned the request simply times out. Any ideas what may be causing this behavior?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: HTTPS sites not responding

Post by richyrich »

I haven't seen any similar problems or forum posts, so it must be something with your tethering setup . . sooo, we'll need more info about your setup before we can help you troubleshoot the problem . . ?
gd_willy

Re: HTTPS sites not responding SOLVED

Post by gd_willy »

Thanks for the response, richyrich. Your prompt for additional information regarding my tethering setup led me to the answer. The tethering app I'm using, easytether lite blocks HTTPS sites by default. I needed to purchase the full version in order to access HTTPS sites.

Many thanks.

Return to “Networking”