samba share outside the LAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jansen10

samba share outside the LAN

Post by jansen10 »

Hi,

First my excuses for my bad english, i m from Belgium. (as if that is an excuse at all :roll: )

I have setup a Share inside my Lan on a Mint 17 Xfce4.
It works fine with my 3 other Linux machines and 1 windows7.
Share can only be accessed by 1 user with all rights on that map.

Now, i want that machine can be accessed from outside the LAN (internet) too.
My first idea was : :idea: I put that machine in a dmz zone so that it is fully exposed to the internet.
But the other question was??? how can i access it now, i could not find any documentation about it.
What to type??? external ipadress followed by ipadress from the computer in dmz zone?

Ok, not bright idea because of the security issues, but i just wanted to get this working and after that i can be worried about safety.
You know, step by step. Pls, do not post about safety, i know it is a risk and there is no important work on that Mint 17 machine, just i want to acces those shares in that machine from outside the LAN (internet)

I thank you in advance for any reply at all.

Greetings,

Marc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: samba share outside the LAN

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have you thought about using Teamviewer?
jansen10

Post by jansen10 »

i can look in that option, but i don t want a big hassle with opening and closing ports.
And probably it is not free for windows pc's (outside the lan) that must have acces to the linux server.
It is completely new for me, and another problem is that Teamviewer must be installed on every computer.
I can give it a try but not really what i m looking for or maybe you got some arguments that can convince me. :P
jansen10

Post by jansen10 »

you not have to convince me. It works as a charme.
Now i can be starting questioning myself : Is it safe?

Anyone any replies on that?
DC80

Post by DC80 »

The connections that Teamviewer makes are encrypted to my knowledge, so it should be safe.

As long as you don't share your Teamviewer ID and password / pin number...
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have been using Teamviewer for years to support friends linux installations and have never come across any security issues. It is particularly useful as you can do a remote access to your home machine and is available to Windows, Mac & Linux users.
jansen10

Post by jansen10 »

I want to thank first Fornhamfred and DC80 for your replies.
I find Teamviewer great for now. But in fact i want more controll by users accessing the server. On the local LAN i can define with Samba which user has full access and which user not. Also i can define different passwords.
If anyone knows a good tutorial about accessing Samba shares outside the LAN , i would really apreciate. With Teamviewer i loose the outstanding controls Linux can give me about users , passwords, accessing only parts of the server, read write permissions etc etc.

Return to “Networking”