remote assistance attacks on Linux - possibility?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxeffect

Post by linuxeffect »

How vulnerable is Linux Mint is to the likes of a remote assistance tool, aka 'RAT' attack, from criminals - or (seemingly far more likely at the moment) the immature teen prankster with too much time? For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rKYqGFug4k

There are remote tools for Linux, so I do wonder if a Linux user could also be just as succumb to attack; or whether becoming a victim is solely down to installing malware. I assume becoming a Windows victim is the result of downloading malicious software disguised as something genuine, or visiting a rogue website without good firewall or malware protection.

Most of these 'hack' tools seem to be modified or legit gui based remote assistance applications and nothing more. Users brag on youtube about how many 'slave' computers they've managed to take control of. They do seem to be all on windows, targeting other windows users. The public may now have a valid reason as to why they weren't just being paranoid by taping that laptop's built in webcam whilst not in use after all.

Could a prankster access your Linux OS content with an assistance tool, eg windows remote assistance related malware, active via the likes of Wine, or not?
I do wonder if these tools can be made to take control of multiple platforms. Thanks for any info.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: remote assistance attacks on Linux - possibility?

Post by Pjotr »

It seems plausible that remote assistance poses an extra risk, in Windows as well as in Linux. That's just common sense.

I can't assess how high that risk is in Linux (my guess is: not high). However, I think it's wise only to enable remote assistance in Linux, when you really need it. Just to be on the safe side.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
linuxeffect

Post by linuxeffect »

Thanks for the reply. It's more out of interest than worry. I suspect these tools will become more sophisticated. Some people brag on forums that the most malicious RAT tools are completely undetectable on windows already, although I have strong doubts about those kinds of claims. The most malicious activity I can find is either someone controlling another users browser and backing up all their passwords, or recording them live without them knowing. I await the day every built-in laptop webcam has a cover. It will happen :)
crust

Post by crust »

The general idea behind Linux is to always willingly have to install software, that's also the reason that after a regular set up the main account isn't the same as the root account. Working under the root account poses the serious threat of completely cirkling around the passphrase confirmation thus making your system as vulnerable as windows.
amity88

Post by amity88 »

@Pjotr,
How do you enable remote assistance in Mint? I normally use ssh or tightVNC for remote access, is there a new feature in Mint?

@linuxeffect,
That really isn't a vulnerability IMO, the fault is with the user. People use shitty passwords/poor configurations/enable unnecessary services and some random guy comes along and guesses it. To answer your question, I'd say it all depends on how you've configured it. I think Mint comes with those services disabled out of the box, so don't worry too much :P

The remote access tools are crossplatform, yes. I've install an entire Linux OS remotely over SSH. So yeah, if there is access quite a lot can be done but the point is you need to give it to them knowingly/unknowingly.

regards,
Amit
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

amity88 wrote:@Pjotr,
How do you enable remote assistance in Mint?
Menu button - Preferences - Desktop Sharing

I've never enabled it though, because it might decrease security....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Networking”