Unable to connect to a Mint computer from Windows

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Unable to connect to a Mint computer from Windows

Post by viper37 »

Hi,

I'm trying to build a Mint server for my personal & office files (backups, mostly).

From the Mint 17.1, I can't see the Windows 8.1 computer I need access to in "network" using Nemo. I need to use the option "connect to a server", create a Windows share with the IP adress, then I can see my files.
Is that normal behavior?

From Windows 8.1, I can not see the Linux computer at all. I'd like to use the hard drives of this computer has backup drive, by mapping one directory over there as a local drive on my Windows.

I have configured Samba, following the guides in this forum and elsewhere. I'm a little lost here as what I'm supposed to do.
Thinking it could be a firewall issue, I uninstalled FirewallD on the Linux Mint server and disabled my Smart Security on the Windows computer.

I have 5 computers total, but let's start with these two.
Linux Mint server is designated as NAS, Windows 8.1 computer is designated as "OFFICE"

On the linux server, I have created samba shares for all directories I want and I used root access in Nemo to share each individual directory. Still a no go. I would have expected to at least see the Linux computer, even if unable to access the files, but no, I don't see anything in my network connections.

What am I doing wrong exactly? What do I need to do on the Linux machine so that Windows 8.1 computers can see the files there?

PS. Workgroup name is customized, it's not the default "WORKGROUP" and I made sure to change it in smb.conf.

PPS. I am behind a router, if that matters, Asus RC-AC68U, latest firmware, and I also have a passthrough switch to connect to this computer, Trendnet Teg-S50g
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to connect to a Mint computer from Windows

Post by austin.texas »

On the NAS, do you have a partition formatted NTFS?
Windows is too dumb to access linux formats - (ext).
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

austin.texas wrote:On the NAS, do you have a partition formatted NTFS?
Windows is too dumb to access linux formats - (ext).
No, the storage drive partitions are BTRFS. I thought having Samba on the NAS would take care of this problem?

EDIT:
I created a small test partition, NTFS, and sh. No change :(

I forgot to mention I configure Samba to allow access to everyone, I'll change it when I'm sure it's working.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

Ok, it doesn't seem to be a Linux problem. I tried on my home computer and I could see the NAS and its shared directory. Problem is on Office windows machine. Will have to find it.

Thanks.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Networking”