After 17.2 Upgrade, VPNs connect, indicator doesn't change

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

After 17.2 Upgrade, VPNs connect, indicator doesn't change

Post by Kendoori »

I use several different VPNs with my 17.2 Cinnamon system (vpnc, openvpn, PPTP). Prior to upgrading, whenever I would connect to the VPN, the tray would show an indicator with lock on it, indicating that the VPN is connected. Since the upgrade, the network indicator show its normal status, regardless of connection state.

I tried several different themes, and they all show the same way...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
goteeguy

Re: After 17.2 Upgrade, VPNs connect, indicator doesn't chan

Post by goteeguy »

I don't have any answers, but can confirm this happens on my computer as well -- and it's quite annoying.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Re: After 17.2 Upgrade, VPNs connect, indicator doesn't chan

Post by Kendoori »

I removed the network manager applet and now I get a different network manager in my tray that properly changes status. I think there is an issue with the panel applet.
mintmike

Re: After 17.2 Upgrade, VPNs connect, indicator doesn't change

Post by mintmike »

Just installed Linux Mint 18 and also had this annoying issue. Removing the applet fixed it. This is still relevant info on how to fix the linux mint cinnamon VPN secure connection indicator.
No blame though, since I am using a separate partition for /home and maybe some old configuration file didn't mix well with the new...
jbrice

Re: After 17.2 Upgrade, VPNs connect, indicator doesn't change

Post by jbrice »

Exactly the same here on a new installation of LM 18. It's a clean install in a single partition, so nothing to do with mintmike's system configuration.

It's a minor issue but the sort of thing that makes the difference between the run-of-the-mill and true quality.

<LATER> Tried the fix as suggested earlier in the thread of removing the network indicator. It revealed the "native" Ubuntu indicator icon that does indeed show up VPN connections. But perhaps it is not the effectiive fix that it appears to be. After a period suspended, the system lost all network connectivity and the only way I could fix it was to reinstall the Linux Mint network applet to the panel. Perhaps this applet plays a vital role in network startup/shutdown scripts?

The VPN active indication is a small detail but an important one in terms of security when out and about with a laptop. Is there an active bug report on this that I can contribute to?</LATER>

JB

Return to “Networking”