Connect to Cinamon desktop from XFCE desktop

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Connect to Cinamon desktop from XFCE desktop

Post by LateJunction »

I want to be able to access files on my Cinnamon 17.2 desktop from my 17.1 XFCE desktop but there is no 'connect server' option in the file manager under XFCE . How do I do it? (Connecting from Cinnamon to XFCE works fine).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Connect to Cinamon desktop from XFCE desktop

Post by altair4 »

You can use gigolo to do that. I don't remember if Mint installs gigolo by default in XFCE.

Since you know where to connect you can also just:

Press Alt+F2
And run:

Code: Select all

thunar smb://hostname
Where hostname is the host name of the Cinnamon box.

Since these are two Linux boxes you can also use an mDNS qualified hostname ( append the hostname with a .local ):

Code: Select all

thunar smb://hostname.local
Either way you can then bookmark it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LateJunction »

Thanks for the advice - sadly none of three 3 techniques work - all fail with words to the effect of 'cannot connect to file system' when attempting to connect to cinnamon from xfce. At the same time the reverse connection attempts, via 'connect sever' all succeed. But I cannot connect from cinnamon to xfce by using 'smb://hostname' or 'smb://hostname.local' or smb://<xfce IP address> in the address bar in the file browser under cinnamon.

Any advice.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you cannot connect using an ip address then it's likely the two machines are not in the same network. Or you are not talking about Samba.

I would go though the following checklist on both systems first: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

Then try to ping one another:
ping 192.168.0.100
or
ping hostname.local
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LateJunction »

Everything checked out or worked OK in this really useful check list - but still no connectivity UNTIL I disabled the firewall on Cinnamon - then I was able to connect through Gigolo. Having switched back to Cinnamon I realised that there was no firewall rule for inbound connection from the xfce machine. Having added that I can now connect as I want with firewall running on both machines.

Summary: thanks for your great guidance.

Return to “Networking”