Network Access to Local USB Drive

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DickBowman

Network Access to Local USB Drive

Post by DickBowman »

On my network I have a laptop which has an external USB drive attached. Has been working fine with Windows 8.1 on the laptop - the USB drive accessible from other PCs (all with Windows) on the network.

This morning I installed Linux Mint on the laptop (replacing Windows) - all went well and I can access the USB drive on the laptop.

But what I can't do now is access the USB drive from the network PCs.

What I can do is create a desktop folder on the laptop, set up share permissions (just right-clicking and using the GUI - tick all of the options) and I have full read/write access. And Windows lets me see the permissions - everything is good there.

If I go through the exact same steps with a folder on the USB drive, I get "You do not have permission..."

I'm clearly missing something simple/obvious - anyone care to tell me what? Will be away for a day or two now, appreciating any suggestions in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”