[SOLVED]Remote desktop access possible before the DE loaded?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Trashking

[SOLVED]Remote desktop access possible before the DE loaded?

Post by Trashking »

I can't get remote desktop access until the desktop environment has been loaded (user logged in), in Cinnamon.

Any protocol (VNC, XRDP, FreeNX) on any release will do.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is remote desktop access possible before the DE is loade

Post by Neil Edmond »

Technically, it's not possible to "remote desktop" without a desktop. That said, I have used SSH to remote control a Linux server that did not have a desktop installed at all. The same protocol could still be used on a system that does have a DE.
Trashking

Post by Trashking »

I have SSH access, is there no way to initiate the DE?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

As far as SSH is concerned I guess it depends on what you want to do.

For example on my Xubuntu machine I can access a Mint machine after it boots but before login:
altair@xub1404:~$ ssh -X tester1@vmint172mate.local
tester1@vmint172mate.local's password:
Welcome to Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela (GNU/Linux 3.16.0-38-generic i686)

Welcome to Linux Mint
tester1@vmint172mate ~ $
I can then launch an application in the terminal that exists on Mint but doesn't exist in Xubuntu and do things graphically with that application:
tester1@vmint172mate ~ $ caja
SSH-X.png
After closing the application you can issue a "ctrl + c" to exit and finally a "exit" to disconnect from ssh.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

Yes, it's possible. One way is to link VNC with XDMCP. I wrote about this for Linux Magazine in 2003, and again for IBM developerWorks in 2012. I can't find the Linux Magazine article online any more, but the developerWorks piece is here. Note that the documentation is not specific to Mint (or even Ubuntu or Debian), and it's a few years old, so you may need to tweak it to get it to work. (I haven't had a need to do this recently, so I've not tried it with recent Ubuntus or Mints.) There is a comment from a reader with a configuration that worked with Ubuntu 12.04, so you might want to pay attention to that.
Trashking

Post by Trashking »

Altair:

I can't believe I never thought of simply attempting to run the GUI for my apps from the command line. I mean I do it all the time regularly... haha, I'll try that thanks. :D

srs5694:

Awesome. I will look into that. I've actually stumbled upon another remote desktop solution that looks very promising: X2GO. Cross platform, [edit] open source!, and reportedly much better responsiveness than VNC, which is known to be laggy.

http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:newtox2go

To be honest, I'm surprised this is such a nuanced issue even to this day. One of the drawbacks to all the linux forks, I suppose.
Trashking

Post by Trashking »

I'm marking this as solved. http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php

x2Go has worked like a charm for Mint KDE. Thanks everyone!

Return to “Networking”