XP Remote Desktop With Mint 17.3 PC

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

XP Remote Desktop With Mint 17.3 PC

Post by jimwg »

Greetings All!

Before I go into details how to get my XP PC to remote desktop with a Mint 17.3 PC, I'd like to know if anyone already has such a configuration running and what apps you're using.

My XP PC is a partitioned machine whose other half is Mint 17.3 and it connects remote desktop (under ssh) with the Mint 17.3 PC like hand in glove. In fact I might have to de-install all the VNC apps which I downloaded Synoptic from the get-go since the native vino server itself works so well -- at least in Mint to Mint mode. On the other hand, getting XP to link up is like pulling teeth. I downloaded UltraVNC and Bitvise and RealVNC and TightVNC clients on the XP side to reach the Mint PC server but no go. I used Microsoft's RDP Connection and it creates a screen with Login to xrdp options like sesman-xvnc -- black blank screen --- and x11rdp (which instantly crashes out) but nothing happens but problem connect signs. The closest RDP sesman combo I got working was a fluke non-functional occurrence when XP seemed to link with the Mint desktop, only it was the default Linux Mint 17.3 screen which wasn't even up on my Mint PC's display -- where did that come from?

Anyway if anyone has the same set-up I'd be much obliged to copy your working config and app set-up than have to go through troubleshooting every part. I can always reboot to my Mint partition to remote desktop the Mint PC but that's really a hassle in the middle of work.

Thanks for any tips!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: XP Remote Desktop With Mint 17.3 PC

Post by jimallyn »

I've been using Teamviewer. My ISP has a firewall on my connection, and the other choices can't get through. Teamviewer works on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, and I would assume on iDevices, too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimwg

Re: XP Remote Desktop With Mint 17.3 PC

Post by jimwg »

Thanks, Jimallyn

Teamviewer works, but it also uses a lot of disk memory in my heirloom R60e Thinkpad and I'd like to see if there also more disk-space frugal alternatives, but you provided a great fallback! The frustrating thing here is that when I use Bitvise SSH client,I do long into my Mint 17.3 Thinkpad, but I get a black (tunnelled) screen. I've been gleaning to a headache lots of info on sesman-x11rdp problems like this and a recurring issue is very similar to this: http://superuser.com/questions/381636/x ... man-x11rdp and http://askubuntu.com/questions/91657/bl ... n-via-xrdp. There are other solutions some pose to failed sesman logins like using your domain/username on the xrdp log-in instead of just your login name (but I've no clue what domain they mean), but I'd rather go step by step and see if I can fix the black screen thing since at least that process actually logs into Mint even though it's a black screen!

I'd be willing to do some CLI surgery if I knew just what and where to tweak this bpp issue.

Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC

Return to “Networking”