Connection sharing, make laptop to wifl piont

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pokemoncatdog

Connection sharing, make laptop to wifl piont

Post by pokemoncatdog »

Hi,

I am trying to make my laptop into a wifi point. I have the web coming in form the eth card and I want to share it out using the wifi card. I am using LM9 LTS and want to know how to do this. I tired sharing with firestarter but can only get it to work with web in with wifi and share out with eth. How can I make my laptop into a wifi point. I tried with network connections also and can only get it to work the one way, but need it the other way.

I know how to do it in win7 but how do I make LM 9 into a wifif point. I don't want to have to install and run win7 if the only thing I going to be doing is using my laptop as a wifi point, instead of using a wifi router.

I have see thing on how do this but is there a gui app that will help you do this for you. I do not Like to change config files all the time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwevej

Re: Connection sharing, make laptop to wifl piont

Post by kwevej »

Well then you need a wifi card that supports acting like Access Point.
Some laptops, like mine Lenovo R400, got that already, but most of them not.
pokemoncatdog

Post by pokemoncatdog »

kwevej wrote:Well then you need a wifi card that supports acting like Access Point.
Some laptops, like mine Lenovo R400, got that already, but most of them not.

OK, it not hardware because in win7 an app called "virtual router" will do this for you on most laptops.

I want to know is there a app like "connectify', or "virtual router" for Linux.
pokemoncatdog

Post by pokemoncatdog »

That good if I want a ad-hoc network for only file sharing, the app "connecitify" makes you win 7 laptop in to a "true wifi hotpot".
When you have some time, take a look at there website. http://www.connectify.me/ "Connectify" is ONLY for win7 or win 2008 rc2 all versions but not starter! "Connectify" will not work on other versions of windows!

OK, first of all can I sharing my internet connection with ad-hoc, and how may things can I have connected to a ad-hoc network at the some time?

Ad-hoc is not the some as a "true wifi hotpot". Am I right? AND if Linux doesn't have this now, this would be someting very cool for Linux to have.
marcdilnutt

Post by marcdilnutt »

Quick bump for this as I am trying the same thing. I want to share my wired internet connection with my iPhone and am having a nightmare setting it up.
pokemoncatdog

Post by pokemoncatdog »

marcdilnutt wrote:Quick bump for this as I am trying the same thing. I want to share my wired internet connection with my iPhone and am having a nightmare setting it up.
I like to see that other are wanting the same thing. I can't run win7 just for wifi internet sharing.

Return to “Networking”