FTP in only one direction (SOLVED)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willem3

FTP in only one direction (SOLVED)

Post by willem3 »

I have two laptops running Linux Mint 10. Let's call them A and B. When I want to connect A to B using "ftp with logon" under "connect to server", it works fine. I see all the files on B, can transfer them, open them, etc. However, when I want to connect B to A using exactly the same procedure, I see "Cannot display location "ftp://192.168....... error connecting: connection refused". A far as I know both Mint 10 installations should be exactly the same.

What setting do I need to change on A to allow this B to A ftp connection? The firewall is disabled on both laptops and when I do "Windows share" (samba) instead of ftp with logon, it works in both directions. But then I only see the shared folders. The two laptops are on the same network and I have the IP addresses right (using nbtscan). I know the usernames and passwords for both laptops.
=========
I just solved this problem, Apparently, A was an ftp-client but not an ftp server. I compared all the ftp-related files on A and B and noticed that gadmin-proftpd and proftpd-basic were installed on B but not on A. Installing them on A solved this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: FTP in only one direction (SOLVED)

Post by Oscar799 »

Glad you found a solution :P

Return to “Networking”