[SOLVED, thanks to me] Boxee Can't Access Drive

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TE5LA

[SOLVED, thanks to me] Boxee Can't Access Drive

Post by TE5LA »

I know this may be a Boxee support question and I've posted it there with no response so far, but it may also be relevant to ask here, since it has to do with Samba.

I have a system that was running Windows with a SSD boot drive and a second 1TB HDD that keeps my movies, etc. I ran Boxee and it worked fine. I wanted to dump the Windows OS so I installed Mint Gnome 9 and Ubuntu Boxee. Everything seems to work but I can't access that hard drive that my movies are on. I can access it in Mint and play the movies with the default player. The system is named VENUS and the hard drive is labeled DATA. In Boxee networking, there is a VENUS (smb) listed, but I can't access it.

How do I access that drive? I have tried such things as manually entering:

smb://VENUS/Data

or

VENUS/Data/Movies

etc., but I always get errors like "Failed to connect" or "No data to access".

BTW, Boxee can access three other computers on the network, running either XP or Windows 7 systems, just not that local drive. And the second part of the subject refers to the fact that I have to reboot Mint if I exit Boxee because it won't launch again if I don't. I can run it only once. I get a busy cursor and it says "Starting Boxee" at the bottom, then it just goes away without any message.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TE5LA

Re: Boxee Can't Access Drive & Can Run Only Once

Post by TE5LA »

Okay, I found out on my on how to access the drive. Hard to imagine that nobody else could have told me I have to "mount" the drive before it would work. I could access it in Mint, but not Boxee until I did this. Now I need to know how to keep the drive mounted when I reboot because it disappears.

And I still need clues as to why I can run Boxee only once without rebooting.

Also, videos won't play in Boxee from my local drive. Some have audio, but all I get is solid-colored backgrounds that change colors while the file is playing. I suspect this has to do with codecs.
TE5LA

Re: Boxee Can't Access Drive & Can Run Only Once

Post by TE5LA »

Well, I fixed it. I removed Mint completely and installed Ubuntu 10.10. Everything works now as it should.

Return to “Networking”