Samba won't connect

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Samba won't connect

Post by mfreeman »

I used to have networking running perfectly a while back (it ran great out-of-the-box with Mint 8 and 9). Since then I've installed Mint 10 and haven't tried sharing files on a network. I went to access my network through Nautilus at work the other day, and I got this error: "Could not display "network:///". Error: Location is already mounted
Please select another viewer and try again." I thought that was very odd, so I tried it at home and got exactly the same thing. I'm not sure what the error means and how to resolve it. Google-ing the error didn't help me. Any ideas? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Samba won't connect

Post by altair4 »

I don't know about accessing a Samba server over the internet especially if you're behind a router but for this error:
"Could not display "network:///". Error: Location is already mounted. Please select another viewer and try again."
Make sure that the following packages are installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Samba won't connect

Post by mfreeman »

I do already have those packages installed. I've found it doesn't display this error all the time, but most of the time. Occasionally, it lets me get to the network just fine.

Return to “Networking”