error mounting nfs share

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Riao
Level 1
Level 1

error mounting nfs share

Post by Riao »

I've installed Linux Mint 10 LXDE RC1 onto a laptop (previously Mint9 LXDE) and am having trouble mounting an NFS share. I was able to do this on Mint9 LXDE without issue, and can mount the same directory with Ubuntu 10.10 from another machine.

Here is what I am doing in a terminal and the result:

Code: Select all

sudo mount 192.168.0.106:/media/Storage /home/riao/mnt/storage
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.106:/media/Storage,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error
	(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
	need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
	In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
	dmesg | tail or so
I am unsure where syslog is to find the "useful info".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
unexistance

Re: error mounting nfs share

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

I think you can try again, then
- Open a terminal
- run below for syslog

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail
See what error you get.

p/s: RC means there might be a few bugs left here & there...

Regards,
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

I don't know if it will be helpful, but there is a great nfs howto here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889

Every now & again my nfs shares on a sheeva plug disappear & I've found that restarting things in the correct order is very important. This page is the only reference I need.
Riao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Riao »

barryp wrote:I don't know if it will be helpful, but there is a great nfs howto here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889

Every now & again my nfs shares on a sheeva plug disappear & I've found that restarting things in the correct order is very important. This page is the only reference I need.
Hey thanks for the post. I followed the link and found a familiar page describing nfs sharing. I skimmed it as I had read similar pages before and came to installing portmapper on the client device. I didn't need to do that with any Ubuntu or MIint machine before; it was always installed by default. I checked and sure enough. I just made an ASS out of U and ME. Anyway It's installed now and I've added the line to fstab and everything's honky-dory.

Thanks for the responses.

Return to “Networking”