Screen share HELP!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Talgon

Screen share HELP!

Post by Talgon »

I have a router that I can not, for some odd reason, disable the firewall. This prevents me from allowing my friends from taking control of my pc and being able to show me how to do stuff remotely. Can I do some sort of port forward to get this working? I have done port forwarding for Alliance so I can share files with my friends. I need to know, if I can do a port forward, where I can find which port I need to forward and what IP to use in the port forward. I have a NETGEAR Router. i'm not sure what model though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Screen share HELP!

Post by Habitual »

http://192.168.1.1 should get you to the Router's admin interface.

Bottom left of the sidebar is a Documentation link.
Talgon

Post by Talgon »

So it looks like I'm going to need to know what port I need to forward to my local IP so the screen sharing can work. But I don't know how to find which port (or range of ports) I need to forward. How can I find this out?
vinnywright

Post by vinnywright »

Talgon wrote:So it looks like I'm going to need to know what port I need to forward to my local IP so the screen sharing can work. But I don't know how to find which port (or range of ports) I need to forward. How can I find this out?
that would depend on the program your going to use........skype dose this and you dont nead to ford anything.....at least I dident .........but UPnP is turnd on in my router

you truly dont whant to disabel your routers fire wall all together ........but if you must it may be called DMZ and if you place you box in it you will be completly open to the net .........bad move.

VINNY
Talgon

Post by Talgon »

I want to use Remote Desktop. The one that come with Mint. I have a NETGEAR WGR614v8 router. If there's any other info you need, don't hesitate to ask.
vinnywright

Post by vinnywright »

to acsess your router's setings
# Access the router (http://192.168.1.1 or the Default Gateway address if the router's default IP was changed).
# Log in the router (User Name = admin and Password = password, unless you changed it).
if you think the Default Gateway address has ben changed do

Code: Select all

route
vinny@desktop:~$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 1 0 0 eth1
link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth1
default 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1
the default line is the one you want.......in this case 192.168.2.1

then we nead to find out what port to forward for Remote Desktop............krdc lets you specify what port to use wile seting the conection.............. I will half to check the one in mint..........or some one that knows may anser first.

VINNY
Talgon

Post by Talgon »

In my router settings I've allowed remote management and the port it says it's using is 8080. To use "Remote Management" would I have to just type in the remote management address into a browser? it's looks like this: http://00.000.0.000:8080 Now obviously I've taken out the numbers so that no one can control any of my pc's but, what do you think?

Return to “Networking”