Connections from Windows Network and passwords [Solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Galen10

Connections from Windows Network and passwords [Solved]

Post by Galen10 »

I have just replaced Mint 9 with Mint Debian on my Laptop. I connect to my Windows workgroup (two desktops) via Samba using Wifi and via ethernet sometimes. I can see all the computers in the Windows share (including another Mint Debian running in a VM on my Windows desktop) and can transfer files to and from the desktops using the laptop. When I come to try the reverse and try and read or write *to* the laptop from anywhere else on the network, I'm asked for an ID and password. It isn't my laptop login name and password that it's after - so what is it looking for? Do I have to have a separate account for the network? If so, how do I set it up, please - just as a normal log-in account, or what?

If it is relevant, when I set up the shares on the laptop I had to do it as superuser, and it would not let me set up a guest access at all, the checkbox was greyed out. I set up the shared folders as read and write. I can't remember precisely what I did with Mint 9 on the laptop, but I certainly didn't have any of these problems.

Regards,

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Connections from Windows Network and passwords

Post by altair4 »

Mint Debian needs a few things to be configured to get samba ( server and client ) to work properly. It's asking the remote user for credetials because you created a share that requires credentials. You can't create a guest share because by default Debian doesn't allow it. Please read the Debian section of the following HowTo:

Simple File Sharing in Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p315218

I'm fairly certain it will fix your situation but if it doesn't then post back here with the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

net usershare info --long
testparm -s

EDIT:
Of course the easy answer is to create a samba password for the remote user to input:

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a user-name
But if I read your post correctly it sounds like you would prefer that this be a guest accessible share so you wouldn't have to mess around with usernames and passwords. For that Debian needs some tweaking and that's in the HowTo.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Galen10

Re: Connections from Windows Network and passwords

Post by Galen10 »

You were quite correct in assuming that I would have preferred the other way, but in the interests of simplicity and security I went down the password route. All now works just fine, and thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Bob

Return to “Networking”