Remote connect to client through Windows Server 2003

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skunk.grunt

Remote connect to client through Windows Server 2003

Post by skunk.grunt »

I'm trying to ditch Windows once and for all, but ONE thing is holding me back. My need to remotely connect to my computer at work.

Currently I connect through IE to Remote Web Workplace via our server, and the networking guy set up dyndns on my computer in the office.
I can't use this method in Linux, because Remote Web Workplace uses ActiveX controls.

I can access the server in Mint by going to the ip address, and I can log in using my username/password, but then can't access my client desktop.

I tried VNC, and it worked, but it was so slow it was pretty much unusable.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I can go about this?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Remote connect to client through Windows Server 2003

Post by richyrich »

I use the multi-OS app described recently here : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=72470
skunk.grunt

Post by skunk.grunt »

And this app will allow me to access my computer through the server?

If it does, it's a winner.
skunk.grunt

Post by skunk.grunt »

Teamviewer works pretty well, but it's only free for non-commercial use, and I don't think the boss will spring for the $750 for a business license.

Any ideas on how I can access the computer through the server?

Maybe an alternative to dyndns.org?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

wow . . asking a lot from us volunteers aren't ya ?
skunk.grunt

Post by skunk.grunt »

Sorry, I didn't realize this was asking a lot. I've just tried everything and haven't come up with a satisfactory solution. I did find ddclient, a dyndns client for linux, but I'm having a tough time setting it up...If I get it, I'll post my results in case it can help others...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Asking us to help you bypass a commercial use license is trivial ?
skunk.grunt

Post by skunk.grunt »

richyrich wrote:Asking us to help you bypass a commercial use license is trivial ?
Woah woah woah...You're completely misunderstanding me. I'm not asking to bypass it. Exactly the opposite. I can't use it BECAUSE the boss won't spring for the license. I want a nice legal way to access my desktop. I already uninstalled teamviewer from the client and my home computer because I can't get the license. I want to use what we already have.

I don't get how to use the Terminal Server Client to access the client computer through our server is all...Guess it's over my head.

Return to “Networking”