Changed IP address now cant see windows network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vie et mort

Changed IP address now cant see windows network

Post by vie et mort »

Hello,

I posted this on the Ubuntu forums but haven't had much luck. I've gotten a good response here in the past so I figured I would try here too. The problem is that I changed my IP address to a public IP and now I can no longer see the windows network in places>network. I'm not sure this is a Samba problem because I can still see and access the ubuntu share folder on both my ubuntu machine and windows machine. If I change my IP address back to the private IP then I'm allowed to see the windows network again.

Anyone have any ideas how I can make the public IP see the windows network?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Changed IP address now cant see windows network

Post by AlbertP »

You need an IP within the same subnet (usually the first 3 groups of numbers of an IP) as the Windows box, to be able to see it in the network.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zzizak

Post by zzizak »

AlbertP wrote:You need an IP within the same subnet (usually the first 3 groups of numbers of an IP) as the Windows box, to be able to see it in the network.
Windows network doesn't work with subnets....which means that your computer must have an IP from the same subnet range as the rest of your network.
they must have the same subnet mask (e.g. 255.255.255.0)
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

vie et mort wrote:to a public IP
What kind of IP do you mean? A windows-network doesn't accept public assigned IPs to prevent the user from network issues.
You should give your PC a allowed IP (this is commonly recommended).

This three ranges are the private ranges:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 10.0.0.0/8 10/8 224 = 16.777.216
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 172.16.0.0/12 172.16/12 220 = 1.048.576
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 192.168.0.0/16 192.168/16 216 = 65.536

They are not routed outside of your local network. Your Internet Service Provider gives you a public IP address which is used to connect to the networks outside of your LAN.

Normally your multifunction home appliance (for example a fritzbox) should give you via DHCP a IP address. If you want a static IP address you have to configure your DHCP server (for example in your fritzbox) so that it doesn't give out the usable IP address which you have in use on your PC. That means you change your status of to "get IP over DHCP". Than you wait 'till you gained a IP. Than you type in the IP address which you have now as a static IP address (don't worry there won't be problems because you have leased the IP for a special amount of time). Of course you have to set the right subnetmask and the gateway, too. The gateway is your multifunctional home appliance and you can find the subnetmask in the table above (with the address ranges). Than you go on your multifunctional home appliance and configure that your device have this IP address manually configured.

Angtagapagligt

Return to “Networking”