Can't connect to the internet, but am connected to local net

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nicoj

Can't connect to the internet, but am connected to local net

Post by nicoj »

Hello,

Just started Linux Mint 11 from USB with Caspar. At first my internet was fine, but then it stopped working. I'm not sure why.

I'm logging into my little laptop (which runs Windows 7) using rdesktop over the internal network, on wireless. So wireless is working, the internal network is working, and the Windows 7 computer is connected to the internet via the same wireless network. So internet is working... I'm really not sure what's going on.

The easiest thing might be to reset the system to its original state, but I don't know how to do that (tried deleting gconf).

Any ideas? Thanks!

nicoj
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Angtagapagligt

Re: Can't connect to the internet, but am connected to local

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hello nicoj,

how do you know that your internet is not working?
Can't you connect via your web browser to google etc. or don't you get connection everywhere.

If you aren't sure use this in a terminal (ctrl + alt + t):

Code: Select all

ping www.google.de
Angtagapagligt
nicoj

Post by nicoj »

Nowhere... Unknown host.

The webbrowser tells me that DNS lookup failed.

Strangely enough, I recreated my Linux Mint Live USB, and internet worked fine yesterday, but since restarting this morning, it stopped again. As before, I am connected to the router, can access my Windows machine through rdesktop, and the Windows machine can access the internet through the very same router.

Thanks for any help.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Okay... try to do this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

ping 209.85.148.105
If you get an answer try to type 209.85.148.105 in the adressbar of your browser.

Return to “Networking”