Unable to mount location.[SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Klaxxon

Unable to mount location.[SOLVED]

Post by Klaxxon »

systems. Desktop-pc mint 9 Gnome 64 bit AMD
. Acer Aspire 6530 mint 9 Gnome AMD

Until this morning i was a windows user....er sorry was getting used by windows.

until the recovery partition of the acer aspire cr*ped itself so couldnt recover windows or reinstall.

So i installed Mint 9 ( the reason being it's GUI is more recognizable to a windows user. )

liked it so much I put it on the desk top too.

I have managed to figure out most things but the following.

In this scenario The Desktop is hosting the files and the user on the laptop is trying to access them.

1: laptop comes up with error stating "Unable to mount location, Failed to mount windows share"

2: The desktop, under Personal File Sharing Preferences comes a message stating that this file/folder cannot be shared as the correct packages are not installed.

So Forgive me if this may seem like a dumb question but does any one know which packages are required on the host computer(desktop) in order to let me
tick "share folder" option.

samba is installed and so is nautilus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to mount location.

Post by altair4 »

You've got an apples and oranges thing going on there.

[1] Personal File Sharing

This is not samba. It sets up a baby apache file server and uses avahi to broadcasts it's sole share ( which is the Public folder in your home directory ) to the rest of the network. It's kind of flaky in use but in order to make it work you need to install the following packages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install apache2.2-bin
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-dnssd
[2] If you want samba I would suggest you look at this HowTo for the easiest way to implement it:
Simple File Sharing in Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169

Note: If you try sharing with Samba and you run into difficulties post the output of each of the following commands so the help can be tailored to your specific situation:

Code: Select all

hostname
testparm -s
net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Klaxxon

Re: Unable to mount location.[SOLVED]

Post by Klaxxon »

Cheers for that worked like a charm.

ran the two commands (sudo apt-get install apache2.2-bin & sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-dnssd)

on both computers (just to make sure)

right clicked on the folders
clicked share

and done.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to mount location.[SOLVED]

Post by altair4 »

I'm glad you got it to work but this:
ran the two commands (sudo apt-get install apache2.2-bin & sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-dnssd)
Had nothing to do with this:
right clicked on the folders
clicked share
This first act enabled "Personal File Sharing" the second act enabled Samba. Samba is not dependent on apache or dnssd. Anywho, if it all works for you don't mess with it :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”