VPN Service failed to start

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zen0ne

VPN Service failed to start

Post by zen0ne »

Hello

I have been trying to fix a VPN connection for weeks now, and I'm turning the brilliant minds in this forum for help.
I'm using Linux Mint 11, kernel 2.6.38.11-generic, and the network manager applet to control my network connections. I have a VPN connection to access my office network that worked just fine previously. A few weeks ago I started receiving the error "VPN Connection Failed. The VPN connection failed because the VPN service failed to start."

The "un-check available to all users" trick doesn't work.
I've recreated the VPN connection multiple times.
I've tried several other suggestions from random forums and nothing has helped.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'm wondering if I need to remove the network manager and all the settings and reinstall those packages? I'm not sure how to accomplish this effectively or if it will even work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit- Here is a copy of the system log that results from trying to connect. Maybe this will spark some ideas.

Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> Starting VPN service 'pptp'...
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' started (org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp), PID 28641
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' appeared; activating connections
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> VPN plugin state changed: 1
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> VPN plugin state changed: 3
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> VPN connection 'VPN connection 1' (Connect) reply received.
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <warn> VPN connection 'VPN connection 1' failed to connect: 'property 'progname=nm-pptp-auth-dialog; RGBA=on' invalid or not supported'.
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <warn> error disconnecting VPN: Could not process the request because no VPN connection was active.
Nov 14 20:34:57 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> Policy set 'Auto belkin.5928' (wlan0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS.
Nov 14 20:35:02 zen0nez NetworkManager[1056]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' disappeared
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zen0ne

Re: VPN Service failed to start

Post by zen0ne »

Thanks mlacieta, I'll check into that resource. I appreciate the response.
proxima_centauri

Re: VPN Service failed to start

Post by proxima_centauri »

Unfortunately, the last few posts were spammers. You can ignore their advice.

Return to “Networking”