samba question

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
truexfan81

Re: samba question

Post by truexfan81 »

ok i checked the permissions of the shared folder it says drwxrwxrwx so idk everything says it should be working, but its not.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You know what I would do?

Boot into the Mint9 install DVD. Don't reinstall just run a live session. Mint in a live session runs Samba by default so you should be able
to go into nautilus, create a guest share, and see if the netbook can access it. Things will run a lot slower in this mode since part of the system is running in memory and some of it has to access the DVD so give it time. If you can't access it by name then access it by ip address.

If that works then something you did or some update has discombobulated your installed OS.

If it can't then something is wrong with the install DVD or something is wrong with your network. Based on an earlier comment you'd have to admit there's something funny going on with your router:
My Netgear rp114 router that i use seems to limit my download speed, i only get 500KB/s, when i connect the pc to the modem i get 1.8MB/s.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

i actually don't have a live dvd lol when i need to use a live session i just use one of my 3 mint live flashdrives lol

8GB= mint9 x64 + persistance
1GB= mint12 i386 no persistance (used this one for the netbook)
4GB= mint12 x64 + persistance

anyway i'm just going to call it a router issue, no more data than i need to transfer i can wipeout one of the flashdrives and use it to copy the data to the netbook.

A big Thanks for helping me troubleshoot :mrgreen:
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

i think i may have just got confirmation that its the router, with the pc connected directly to the cable modem, when i run smbtree i get this:

LINUXHOME
\\LM9_DESKTOP lm9_desktop server (Samba, LinuxMint)
\\LM9_DESKTOP\download
\\LM9_DESKTOP\Deskjet-F300-series HP Deskjet F300 series
\\LM9_DESKTOP\Print_to_PDF Print to a PDF File
\\LM9_DESKTOP\IPC$ IPC Service (lm9_desktop server (Samba, LinuxMint))
\\LM9_DESKTOP\print$ Printer Drivers

Return to “Networking”