Missing Shares in Gmail[SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Missing Shares in Gmail[SOLVED]

Post by boysha »

Hi,
I have set my shares with my Windows computer so that I can see certain Folders in Linux Mint 10. However, when I am on Mint, using Gmail and I would like to access those shared Windows folders, they are not listed at all so I am not able to attach any file from those folders. I was wondering if there is a way to make this happen? Can someone help?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Missing Shares in Gmail

Post by altair4 »

When you connect to a Samba share on Windows from Mint through Nautilus or Connect to Server it creates a mount point in a hidden directory in your home folder at: /home/username/.gvfs/sharename on servername

In order for you to access that remote share from an "Open Files" box you need to right click an empty space in the box and select "Show Hidden Files". Then you can access the .gvfs folder and the shares mount point within it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Thank you so much!
Is there a way to make this a permanent solution? I tried to bookmark what I needed but it wouldn't do it.
Thanks!
Cheers!
Neb
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Not sure what you mean by permanent.

The "view hidden files" is permanent. If you want to automount the Windows share I would recommend Gigolo: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52144
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by doktornotor »

On another note, there is no need for more bloatware. You can mount those just fine via cifs from /etc/fstab. Very permanent. :P
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

No more permanent than an automated "gvfs-mount smb://server/share".

You could just add the gvfs-mount command to the startup applications of course and bypass Gigolo but then you would not have some of the advantages of that little utility.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Thank you! I have more solutions then I hoped for. Cheers!
Neb

Return to “Networking”