Slow file sharing from Linux to Linux over local (SAMBA)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
B3njamin

Slow file sharing from Linux to Linux over local (SAMBA)

Post by B3njamin »

Hello, so I want to be able to share files from my pc to my laptop and vice versa and I managed to get samba working, but its as slow as 2.5MBps, shouldn't it be able to go much faster than that? I'm sharing over a local network from one Linux box to another (both machines have LM11 installed,) one machine is connected to the router via ethernet and the other is wireless. I tried a couple of fixes that I found online (like setting TCP NODELAY in smb.conf) but that didn't help at all.

Is there a way to make samba faster, or is there another way of sharing files locally that would be faster? (Sharing files over the Internet is not good enough as my speed is only 650kb/s.)

P.S., Also, when I send the files, I can't move/delete them on the receiving computer, I can copy them to another folder, but not delete, how do I stop this from happening? (The owner/group keeps getting changed to "nobody" I assume that's why this happens, I know how to change it, I just want to know how to prevent it from happening.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Slow file sharing from Linux to Linux over local (SAMBA)

Post by altair4 »

I know there are a number of posts in many forums concerning samba speeds but it's never been a problem for me so I don't know how to help you.
I want to be able to share files from my pc to my laptop and vice versa
If it's your pc and your laptop don't use samba. Give ssh a shot:

Install the following package on MachineA:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
On MachineB:

Nautilus > File > Connect to Server:

Service type: ssh
Server: ip address of MachineA
User Name: user name on MachineA

The first time you run it it will error:
The identity of the remote computer (192.168.0.110 (192.168.0.110)) is unknown.
This happens when you log in to a computer the first time.

The identity sent by the remote computer is e0:d7:18:9c:58:5a:47:d6:99:d6:c5:6f:7f:e8:3f:8c. If you want to be absolutely sure it is safe to continue, contact the system administrator.
> Select "Log In Anyway"

If all that works for you then install openssh-server on MachineB and do the whole thing in reverse.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
B3njamin

Post by B3njamin »

I tried that and it worked but the speed was the same, I guess that means it's not a samba issue?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

(Sharing files over the Internet is not good enough as my speed is only 650kb/s.)
I wonder if the problem is the router. Is the 650kb/s rate what you expect from your ISP or is it lower than expected?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
B3njamin

Post by B3njamin »

650 is about right, my service isn't so good.
B3njamin

Post by B3njamin »

Bump.

Return to “Networking”