samba / synergy / crossover cable [Solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michaeljeffrey

samba / synergy / crossover cable [Solved]

Post by michaeljeffrey »

Hi All,

I am having trouble connecting a PC running windows 7 and a PC running Linux Mint 12 via crossover cable.

I changed the IPv4 setting for the wired connection within Mint to-
IP: 10.0.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.2

I changed the Wired LAN settings within Windows to-
IP: 10.0.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2

I changed the workgroup in WIndows and in Samba to: PENGUIN

My router's IP Address: 192.168.2.2

When the Wired Connection is turned off and the Wireless Connection is on, the Linux PC can see the PENGUIN network. On the Windows side, however, I cannot see the Linux computer.

My goal is to be able to have a more stable connection between the two computers so that Synergy is more stable and not prone to outages because of the volatility of the wireless connection.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: samba / synergy / crossover cable

Post by altair4 »

I have never used Samba between 2 computers connected directly to each other and I'm a little confused by your post since the problem seems to be when you are not running in that mode but you might want to go through this checklist:

Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

It could be something simple like the length of your host name.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
michaeljeffrey

Post by michaeljeffrey »

Thanks for the reply.

I'll go through that tutorial later. I don't think it's a problem with Samba though - I think it's more a problem with my TCP/IP settings within Windows and Linux.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hey,

why have you configured a gateway?
I think the problem is the default gateway which is simliar configured as the IP address... You have created a routing loop.

Just delete the default gateway on both machines or put the IP address of the opponent laptop in (Windows-GW .1 Linux-GW .2)

Mint
Gateway: - OR 10.0.0.2

Software from hell
Default Gateway: - OR 10.0.0.1

Angtagapagligt
michaeljeffrey

Post by michaeljeffrey »

Hey,

I actually figured it out last night and dropped the gateway. It's annoying in Linux that you have to define a gateway, so I just set it at 0.0.0.0 - and it worked!

Thanks!

Angtagapagligt wrote:Hey,

why have you configured a gateway?
I think the problem is the default gateway which is simliar configured as the IP address... You have created a routing loop.

Just delete the default gateway on both machines or put the IP address of the opponent laptop in (Windows-GW .1 Linux-GW .2)

Mint
Gateway: - OR 10.0.0.2

Software from hell
Default Gateway: - OR 10.0.0.1

Angtagapagligt
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Glad that I could help. Have fun!

Greetings

[Edit:] Could you write [Solved] in front of the Topic-Subject? Thanks!

Return to “Networking”