Multibooting with mint4win, and Wubi?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Multibooting with mint4win, and Wubi?

Postby flyboytim on Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 am

I have a desktop that happily multiboots Windows XP, 7, 8CP, and Ubuntu via WUBI.

If I were to choose to boot thru GRUB into the Windows bootloader, I would have difficulties each time a Windows version needs a repair or reinstallation, but WUBI seems to be fine so far.

I thought I would install Mint on the system too, using Mint4Win.

Mint4Win seems to want to uninstall Ubuntu. Is there any way to install Mint alongside Ubuntu, without installing to a new partition in the standard way?
flyboytim
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Multibooting with mint4win, and Wubi?

Postby xenopeek on Thu May 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Curious, which bootloader do you use now? Wubi also installs GRUB by default.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby flyboytim on Sat May 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Vincent - the bootloader is Windows 7.

At least, I think it is, I have used EasyBCD for boot editing, and I know it has its own bootloaders, such as neogrub.

The order of installation was XP, Windows 7 - but using imagex to apply the image from the Windows 7 install.wim, and then bcdboot from WinPE to write the BCD boot store. I used the same technique to install Windows 8 CP - it avoids the awful Windows 8 bootloader and multiple reboots when using an OS other than Windows 8.

Later I installed Ubuntu from within windows, but strangely, the installation failed from both XP and from Windows 7 - only when I tried Windows 8 to install Wubi did the installation complete successfully.

Again in Windows 8, I launched Mint4win, and the first dialog said that it was about to uninstall Ubuntu - so I cancelled it.
flyboytim
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Sun May 27, 2012 3:28 am

Yes, the installer mint4win and wubi both enforce that only one of these is installed (so also just one mint4win; you can't in a normal way install multiple Linux Mint versions with mint4win). Somebody over at the Ubuntu Forums has a workaround, but I'm not sure this will still work. In any case, before your attempt it back up any important personal files: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1591825
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby flyboytim on Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks Vincent - that is the approach I was thinking of taking - renaming the ubuntu root drectory, installing mint4win, and then editing the new mint grub.cfg menu to load ubuntu as well. I'll give it a go!
flyboytim
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot