mint4win is great........

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

mint4win is great........

Postby jdoc on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi all just did the whole mint4win thing on my compaq desktop in windows vista, and wanted to stop by and say that it worked great and runs smoothly. Got compiz going the cube and every thing runs smooth not jittery at all. The installation was easy and there was no problems or hang ups. All in all a great experiance and easy for those that don't want to partition their hard drive or wipe their current os. To thumbs up for mint4win.
jdoc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint4win is great........

Postby Husse on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:30 am

The credit goes to merlwiz79
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby keithp on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Please, how do you get mint4win?

I have run the 'main' live CDs of both Mint5 and Mint6, searching their desktops. I have updated the repositories and searched them, I have searched Software Portal. But can't find mint4win. :(

Where is it?

I guessed that if I ran the live CD, I would find mint4win. Then I would click on it to install it on my XP hard drive, and it would then install Mint.

Many thanks to anyone who can give me a clue to solve the mystery!

Cheers

Keith
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:02 pm

No It's not a daft question - I don't remember how I started it
Ah if you have Windows running and insert the CD it should start automatically.
If not try to double click mint4win.exe
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby keithp on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:47 am

Thanks Husse.

You have solved the mystery for me. :D

Thank you also, for all the hard work you do both on the forum and writing the newsletter.

It's all very much appreciated.

Cheers

Keith
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Can you change the size of the mint4win disk?

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm just starting to use mint, and I must say, I'm pretty impressed so far. I've tried Ubuntu before, but, my wireless card didn't work. Mint worked with no fuss.

I installed it using mint4win and I gave myself 10 GB of space. I figured this would be plenty of room, but, somehow ALL of the space got used. I'm not sure why or how becuase I haven't installed that much software and I don't have ANY documents or media files (I've stored everything externally). I uninstalled WINE and some other software and when I rebooted, I had about 1 1/2 gigs left. That still seems like I've got a bunch of files I don't know about...

Anyway, is it possible to change the size of the mint4win partition? Or maybe I have to reinstall to get more space? I'm thinking I might just use an external drive for mint if I have to start over.

Thanks!

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:47 am

If you use mint4win you don't have to give it a partition of its own
But I see that my mint4win uses 6.3 GB which is a bit more than I expected (in Vista)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby manxlinux on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:15 am

Just installed it on my microsplat PC and now educating the staff where I work to a decent bug free environment.

Now to start development on here as well - Anyone recommend a Linux variation of VB

Any other users on the Isle of Man interested in starting a group

Mike
manxlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can you change the size of the mint4win disk?

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 am

Guest wrote:I'm just starting to use mint, and I must say, I'm pretty impressed so far. I've tried Ubuntu before, but, my wireless card didn't work. Mint worked with no fuss.

I installed it using mint4win and I gave myself 10 GB of space. I figured this would be plenty of room, but, somehow ALL of the space got used. I'm not sure why or how becuase I haven't installed that much software and I don't have ANY documents or media files (I've stored everything externally). I uninstalled WINE and some other software and when I rebooted, I had about 1 1/2 gigs left. That still seems like I've got a bunch of files I don't know about...

Anyway, is it possible to change the size of the mint4win partition? Or maybe I have to reinstall to get more space? I'm thinking I might just use an external drive for mint if I have to start over.

Thanks!

Looks like this page has a way to install a partition manager that'll let you resize the virtual hard drives.
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot