Uninstalled mint4win..

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Uninstalled mint4win..

Postby Kawaii Momo-chan on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19 pm

Hello all ^^
Well, small problem, more of an annoyance I suppose lol
I installed mint4win to see how it will play with my hardware etc.. and well, it worked great. But, recently had a few issues with my computer (vista related go figure..) so I uninstalled mint4win via add/remove programs in vista.
And upon reboot, even though I installed Mint, it comes to the boot selection screen asking if I want to boot into mint or vista.
Dunno if it is a bug, or a problem with vista (on Vista Ult. x64 btw) or an error on my behalf.
And sorry if this is answered somewhere else ><

Anyway, question is, anyway to fix this? And would it fix itself when I reinstall mint4win (holding off on reinstalling it, 'cause I don't want to end up with 2 boot options for Mint, one working, one not working)

Thank you for any and all help.

Sincerely,
Momo-chan
Kawaii Momo-chan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Uninstalled mint4win..

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:57 am

Kawaii Momo-chan,

I would preface my answer by saying I am neither a fan of, nor particularly knowledgeable about mint4win.

It sounds as if the uninstall routine did not remove and repair the boot portion of the program. Incomplete uninstalls are routine fare for Windows.

If you are planing on making a proper hard drive install of Mint I wouldn't worry about it. When you make the Mint install it will overwrite the mbr with the correct code.

If you are not planning to do the above and just want Windows back in its' default form, use the recovery disk and choose to repair the mbr. Another way is to download and burn the latest stable version of SuperGrub live cd iso. You can fix the Windows mbr with that also.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Kawaii Momo-chan on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 pm

Thank you for the help, will do later ^^
Kawaii Momo-chan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Weird I am using Windows 7 and it removed it perfectly fine.
Well if you want an easy way to remove it just use EasyBCD.
http://neosmart.net/downloads/software/ ... 01.7.2.exe
Once installed you can add do a lot of editing to the windows boot manager called BCD.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Installation & Boot