Upgrading space for mint4win

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Upgrading space for mint4win

Postby Ukuntu on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:26 pm

When I installed mint4win I only set it up with 15GB of space, and I was wondering if there is a way to modify it so that I can give more space to mint?

Also, I burned mint to a CD, but for some reason its not bootable? I've checked my bios settings to make sure theres not a problem there, but still a no go?
Ukuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrading space for mint4win

Postby grimdestripador on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:57 pm

Modifying your partition table is about the most risky thing you can do to you data. BE SURE IT IS BACKED UP.
But yeah. Boot from your live CD. Navigate to >> LM Menu:Adminstration:Partition Editor. Now choose your Windows Partition, Click edit, reduce the size. Click LM partition, Click edit, and increase the size. This WILL TAKE HOURS. You computer most likely won't crash but will behave as if it was. To make it faster. I'd just delete the LM partition. Reduce the size of WIndows, then reinstall LM on your free space.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Decemberdoom on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:40 pm

How did you burn the CD? I've found that I have had limited success when I would extract the .iso contents and then burn them with regular software.

If burning from Windows, I recommend downloading PowerISO, and burning the iso to a cd directly.
[url]decemberdoom.wordpress.com[/url] Check out my blog.

You know you want to.
Decemberdoom
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:45 pm

Anytime you shrink a Windows partition you should defrag it at least once before you begin. You have been forewarned.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby grimdestripador on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Decemberdoom wrote:How did you burn the CD? I've found that I have had limited success when I would extract the .iso contents and then burn them with regular software.

If burning from Windows, I recommend downloading PowerISO, and burning the iso to a cd directly.

You should never extract an ISO unless your destination is to USB.
For buring an ISO.
Check out ISO Recorder
here is some tutorials
http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Ukuntu on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:02 am

I had burned the CD with Alcohol 52%...rather than using that one again, I burned another CD with ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com) and it burned it perfectly.

Now I'm facing another issue. For some reason when I boot from the CD and go through the install process, I tell it that I want the boot loader on the linux partition, but when it reboots it just goes straight into windows...anyways, I'm going to go search the forums for this problem.
Ukuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grimdestripador on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:45 am

check boot order in bios.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Ukuntu on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 am

grimdestripador wrote:check boot order in bios.

bios was fine, not sure what was going on, but after a couple more attempts it worked fine. Thanks though! :mrgreen:
Ukuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot