Mint Crashing

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint Crashing

Postby Bselvar on Sun May 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi there, I recently installed "Felicia" via the site ISO download, which I used the Mint4Win install from the disk. I've done this process two time now, the first being on a portable HDD (not flash/jump) and the second being on a small 20GB partition off of my main hard drive in my HP dv6780se. Both times the OS has run great, except for random instances where it will (I believe) crash. When the instance occurs everything freezes up. Additionally my caps lock, and wireless router indicators flash on and off.

I originally thought it might be when I was using my wireless logitec mouse and keyboard, but then it happened when they weren't plugged in. Then it happened when I was installing recommended updates. I know it doesn't have to do with downloading/Internet/music because it hasn't happened when I've done those things.

does anybody know anything about this?

Great OS otherwise, first time I've used Linux and I'm deffinitley pro linux, even though I'll stick with windows (I hate macs :mrgreen: )
Bselvar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint Crashing

Postby Husse on Thu May 14, 2009 7:52 am

Thanks for your interest in Mint
I hope you understand that it is close to impossible to solve this - random not too frequent crashes.....
Even if you have given a description it is not telling anything about why/when/how this happens
The logs may contain something revealing
System logs in the menu
There's a search which searches all the logs so anything with warning, panic, segfault, error or the like is helpful
Also dmesg is a good source of info - it's very long so dmesg | tail would have to do (right after it happens)
Of course knowing the hardware would help once we've got something to look for - but I don't know any hardware that is more prone to cause a crash than any other - I know a lot of which hardware may give problems with sound or graphis or wifi though....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot