Upgrade or reinstall

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Upgrade or reinstall

Post by kelean »

I have mint6 installed with mint4win. Can I upgrade this to mint7 or do I need to uninstall it and reinstall a new mint7 mint4win .

Thanks Kelean.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Upgrade or reinstall

Post by emorrp1 »

I don't see why being in mint4win should be any different, and can't find any bad reports. I still always recommend a fresh install though, otherwise you're basically asking for trouble with conflicts and bad drivers etc.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

A fresh install is always best. You can technically upgrade your current install but I will not guarantee that you will not have some fixing to do.
JotaEfe

Post by JotaEfe »

emorrp1 wrote:I don't see why being in mint4win should be any different, and can't find any bad reports. I still always recommend a fresh install though, otherwise you're basically asking for trouble with conflicts and bad drivers etc.
Hey there,

I'm a newbie and would like to migrate to 7 - also installed 6 from mint4win. How can I backup my previous files to do this clean install? And then, how can I recover them after it? Do I have to, for instance, store them in a different folder accessible to both Windows and Linux systems? Please let me know.

TiA, JotaEfe
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

JotaEfe wrote:
Hey there,

I'm a newbie and would like to migrate to 7 - also installed 6 from mint4win. How can I backup my previous files to do this clean install? And then, how can I recover them after it? Do I have to, for instance, store them in a different folder accessible to both Windows and Linux systems? Please let me know.

TiA, JotaEfe
Since you are running Mint within Windows, your best bet would be to use an external drive or a large enough pendrive to backup and files and/or settings you have, then once you reinstall, transfer the files back.
JotaEfe

Post by JotaEfe »

dlkreations wrote:
JotaEfe wrote:
Hey there,

TiA, JotaEfe
Since you are running Mint within Windows, your best bet would be to use an external drive or a large enough pendrive to backup and files and/or settings you have, then once you reinstall, transfer the files back.
Thanks, Don. Okay about my stuff, but about my settings: which config files are necessary and where can I find them?

JF

Return to “Installation & Boot”