Mint4win hangs at Formatting Swap Space Aftr reboot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint4win hangs at Formatting Swap Space Aftr reboot

Postby netmanic on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 pm

I am new to Mint, installing Mint7Main via Mint4win on my Lenovo S10 on a spare Fat32 10G partition via Windows XP..

After the install, I reboot, choose Mint boot, and after it comes up I get the following panel which sits there for hours:

Check the installation…
Installing System
Formatting swap space in partition #1 of /host/mint/disks/s...

Any help appreciated. :wink:
netmanic
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint4win hangs at Formatting Swap Space Aftr reboot

Postby lagagnon on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:42 pm

Mint4Win is the same as Ubuntu's Wubi. Read section 6.4 of this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Installation
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby netmanic on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:00 pm

The only issue with this diagnosis is this is a brand new partition, which has never been used for anything before.
1. I created a FAT32 10Gig Partition (F:)
2. Ran mint4win

Installation error while formatting the swap file
If the installation fails while formatting the swap virtual disk it means that your drive is excessively fragmented. Uninstall, run jkdefrag on the target drive, then run wubi again.

lagagnon wrote:Mint4Win is the same as Ubuntu's Wubi. Read section 6.4 of this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Installation
netmanic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Was that partition hived off a larger partition of your Windows drive at any time, because if so the disk space would have been used and still has fragmented data on it. I would still try the solution if I were you.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby netmanic on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 pm

Ok,
Completely uninstalled, rebooted, dkdefrag (nice!), rebooted.
Mounted Mint7 ISO via Slysoft Virtual Clone Drive, executed Mint4win, installed to spare unused, defraged partition Fat32/8G free.

Got same hangup, sits at "formatting swap space" panel, for hours with no % complete. :oops:

Ideas? :?:
netmanic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:43 pm

Mounted Mint7 ISO via Slysoft Virtual Clone Drive, executed Mint4win, installed to spare unused, defraged partition Fat32/8G free.

--that is close to the minimum; isn't it, for Mint?
Are you trying to use swap space that belongs to the windows host ? (its pagefile)

You may be able to fix it by not using any swap space but leaving the partition (the windows file) large enough to include it, then after the install creating the swap partition and formatting separately

Mounted Mint7 ISO via Slysoft Virtual Clone Drive..
And also by using/installing virtual file (mint4win) within virtual(virtual drive), that may be an issue..
--redirecting content of install sequence
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby netmanic on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am

DrHu wrote:

Are you trying to use swap space that belongs to the windows host ? (its pagefile)

You may be able to fix it by not using any swap space but leaving the partition (the windows file) large enough to include it, then after the install creating the swap partition and formatting separately

And also by using/installing virtual file (mint4win) within virtual(virtual drive), that may be an issue..

I was pointing Mint4Win to an empty partition of 8-10G... I assumed that was enough space, I can expand it, got plenty unused space.
Are you trying to use swap space that belongs to the windows host ? (its pagefile)?

Im a newbie, and dont really know how to even control this. I just used the Mint4Win GUI in Windows.

Im installing to a NetBook without CD/DVD, so I had to mount the ISO file some how to get to the Mint4Win.. Is there another way?
netmanic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby netmanic on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:40 am

OK,
* Gave the partition 16GB of space of drive F:.
* Uninstalled Mint4Win completely,
* Defragged again...
* Reboot,
* Reinstall,
* Reboot

Still got same symptom, hangs up at "Installing System, Checking the Installation, Formatting swap space......"

Any other suggestion/debug gathering info anyone want's before I scratch it, and go with a native Mint install/partition and eliminate Mint4Win?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

netmanic wrote:
DrHu wrote:

I was pointing Mint4Win to an empty partition of 8-10G... I assumed that was enough space, I can expand it, got plenty unused space.
Are you trying to use swap space that belongs to the windows host ? (its pagefile)?

Im a newbie, and dont really know how to even control this. I just used the Mint4Win GUI in Windows.

Im installing to a NetBook without CD/DVD, so I had to mount the ISO file some how to get to the Mint4Win.. Is there another way?
netmanic
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot