The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Postby WildSioux on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Boo wrote:To get the latest KDE 4 (eg 4.2.1) enable the ppa repo.

Boo

AWESOME...I just enabled the two ppa repos and installed some 130+ updates (mainly for KDE 4.2.1). Not only is my computer quicker, more responsive, and more stable in KDE (opening apps, copying files, etc...). This 4.2.1 update has FIXED the BUG with the monitor not going to sleep when the screensaver is set to turn on before. Something that hasn't worked since December '08 trying out numerous distro's with KDE 4.1.3 to 4.2.

In my initial tests with just the "System Settings" >> "Display" >> "Power Control" >> "Suspend...30 minutes." (Screensaver is set to turn on after 8 min).

I haven't tried any of the other settings "Standby, or "Power Off." And I also haven't tried this with the "System Settings" >> "Power Management" >> "Let PowerDevil manage screen powersaving" since that too also has the same settings (Standby, Suspend, and Power Off). Currently PowerDevil is checked off in that panel.

But if the Display setting is working, I will stick with it for now. This is the greatest thing to happen since Mint 6 KDE CE RC1 came out a few weeks ago. By far the most stable OS I have tried out of any linux distros.

++++ B00 ++++ One quick question, do I keep those ppa repo's enabled? I imagine that Is where the KDE updates will come from.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:30 am

yes keep the ppa repos enabled if you want the latest KDE4 updates.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby arjay on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:51 am

WildSioux.

The main thing that put me off 4.2 was a bug in the network manager that meant no one could set up a manual network address. As soon as I opened the network manager and clicked on manual (or static forget what label it had), the OK button grey out and I was not able to enter and save a manual static address. Have you any idea if this has been fixed (supposed to be fixed in 4.2.1)?

If anyone is using 4.2.1 and has the time/inclination, could they open network manager and pretend to choose a manual connection setup. Then let me know what happens. At the moment I have gone back to the LM 5 kde version. Actually, I still think that kde 4 is cr*p, as a long time diehard user of 3.5. But I am worried that eventually version 4 is all we will get and I will be up dinosaur creek without a desktop. So I feel obligated to try and use it...

RJ
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby big_dog1968 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:12 am

How are things looking for the official release? Are there any major changes or bugs being worked on. It has been a while since there was an update.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Boo on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:05 pm

there are no real major problems that we can fix for the final.
all the fixes are minor.
the best fix is to enable the ppa repo and update to KDE 4.2.1.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Rob Brill on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:21 am

Boo wrote:there are no real major problems that we can fix for the final.
all the fixes are minor.
the best fix is to enable the ppa repo and update to KDE 4.2.1.

Boo

Ok Boo
Very Nice
ppa enable
I did the Upgrade to the KDE 4.2.1

The system has become more reliable and stable. :o
Luck us, lol

Will we have a final version or is this upgrade enough?

rgds,
Roberto
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby big_dog1968 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:58 pm

Are we going to get back some of the cool right click menu options we have lost? I always liked the ability to right click a file and have the option to md5 it. Also, we used to have the option to md5 from the menu if I remember. Another feature I liked was the "launch terminal here" feature where you could launch the terminal and have it be in the folder you were in. I consider those to be minty enhancements to the user experience that I miss when I try other distros.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aviynw on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Yeah, I miss the "launch terminal here" feature. Konqueror still has it, it's just dolphin that doesn't have it. It's the sole reason I'm using konqueror over dolphin. I find myself wanting it a lot.
aviynw
Level 1
Level 1

Postby arjay on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 pm

I am struggling to understand what advantages dolphin has over konqueror. I have always thought konqueror was a fine bit of software - I'd need convincing to move to dolphin?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kanishka on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:03 am

"Open as root" was also a nice option btw
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Joe on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:23 pm

big_dog1968 wrote:Another feature I liked was the "launch terminal here" feature where you could launch the terminal and have it be in the folder you were in.

In Dolphin go to View, then Panels, then Terminal or you can just click F4 when you're in Dolphin and the terminal pops up within Dolphin.
Joe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aviynw on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm

In Dolphin go to View, then Panels, then Terminal or you can just click F4 when you're in Dolphin and the terminal pops up within Dolphin.

oh la la, that's convenient. You can also right click a folder and go to actions>open terminal here, but you can't do that on your current folder.
aviynw
Level 1
Level 1

Postby big_dog1968 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:55 pm

kanishka wrote:"Open as root" was also a nice option btw

Yes that is one of my favorites.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kenboldt on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Is there any indication as to how long it will be until we have a final version as opposed to the RC?

I am anxiously awaiting this release as it will be my first taste of KDE4, but I prefer to use final versions instead of betas and RCs.
kenboldt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rob Brill on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 pm

aviynw wrote:Yeah, I miss the "launch terminal here" feature. Konqueror still has it, it's just dolphin that doesn't have it. It's the sole reason I'm using konqueror over dolphin. I find myself wanting it a lot.

Hi,
Mine works very good with Dolphin and Konqueror

KDE CE 6- v 4.2.1______________________________________
( If we spoke a different language, we )
( would perceive a somewhat different )
( world. )
( )
( -- Wittgenstein )
--------------------------------------
o
o
___
{~._.~}
( Y )
()~*~()
(_)-(_)
roberto@robertokmint ~/MyDownloads $ ls
pclinuxos-2009.1.iso
roberto@robertokmint ~/MyDownloads $

Linux Mint KDE CE 6 - KDE 4.2.1
Dolphin
Folder > actions > launch terminal here
result above - Dolphin

rgds
Roberto
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby WildSioux on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:25 am

kanishka wrote:"Open as root" was also a nice option btw

I found out how to add this here:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3099110.0

This is what the new service menus look like (includes Open Terminal Here).
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Root+Actions+Servicemenu?content=48411

EDIT (INSTALL BY USING THESE PPA REPO'S - UPDATED) Found here https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa/+index?start=0&batch=75
Code: Select all
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

I added those in Synaptic since I feel more comfortable doing it that way. But when I searched for the "servicemenu-rootactions" it didn't come up. So I just did this in terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install servicemenu-rootactions

They probably don't show up in Synaptic because the key hasn't been inmorted and I don't know how to do that.

These repos also include a bunch of plasmoids (not sure if we already have them though).

++ According to his PPA page, in the notes it has this about plasmoids from Jaunty:
# The Jaunty plasmoids could work with the Intrepid Ibex (KDE 4.2), more at the:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3101034.0
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kenboldt on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm

Sorry to post the same thing twice, but I didn't get any sort of response the first time. I am wondering if there is any estimate of time for when the final version of Mint 6 KDE will be released? I prefer to use final versions, not betas and RCs, and I am anxiously awaiting this release.

Thanks,
Ken
kenboldt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:52 pm

kenboldt wrote:Sorry to post the same thing twice, but I didn't get any sort of response the first time. I am wondering if there is any estimate of time for when the final version of Mint 6 KDE will be released? I prefer to use final versions, not betas and RCs, and I am anxiously awaiting this release.

Thanks,
Ken

I don't believe there are any set times when an edition is going to be released. Mint does not follow the same release cycle as Ubuntu does. Once Clem and the others feel that their edition is ready for release, then they do so, but not under any pretenses as others might expect.

Having used the KDE CE RC1 myself, I can say with confidence that it is as close to being complete as you can get even with it being a release candidate. Granted there are going to be updates after installation, but that comes with any distro you use.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kenboldt on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi dlkreations, thanks for the reply. I can understand the whole "ready when it's ready" philosophy having been a PCLinuxOS user for many years. I wasn't necessarily looking for a hard release date, but more an estimate. A day, a week, a month? that sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and maybe I will give the RC a go, and see what happens.

Cheers,
Ken
kenboldt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. I used PCLinuxOS for quite a while too. Then I thought it was the "be all end all" distro to use the rest of my life, but I have to say I am not very impressed with the 2009 release. They made a lot of improvements, and Tex and the Ripper Gang did a fine job, but it to me is too... I don't the best word to use, but not up to my standards I guess.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE