KDE4 Suggestions and New Ideas

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

KDE4 Suggestions and New Ideas

Postby Boo on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:36 am

Checkout the Suggestions and New Ideas section to give your KDE4 input.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: KDE4 Suggestions and New Ideas

Postby Wenches_Master on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:21 am

After having continued probs with system sounds after I Left Mint 5, For Mint 6rc1
I'd dwnld both the 32bit n 64bit Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Os.
I thought that it might be a Gnome prob but wasn't it was also in KDE, I've posted on these forums any number of times in replys etc, about this so I'm not going into it here as well.

But I messed with KDE 4 for a few days in Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.
While I'm not trying to start a KDE 3.5.9 vs KDE 4 war here, this is just my 2 cents on the subject.

I take it the next edition of Mint CE is going to be based on KDE 4 n Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid is this right?

While I'm quite impressed by KDE 4, I really don't know why it was released as a final stable edition, I could understand it still being in Late Beta or Very Early rc status, But IMHO it's far from useable.
There is not a whole lot of Self Config you can do with it, You add things to the Kicker everything goes to the right side, You add an extra Kicker at the Top and go and add something and it goes to the bottom one... :?

Trying to get stuff to stay on your Desktop is next to imppossible at least in the order you put them after a restart, and system sounds Mute themseleves half way through Login.
These are just a few that I don't like...

YES I know it's new and still very RAW in the way things are done, And reading on KDE about the upcoming Release doesn't give me much Hope of much changing anytime soon.

Do we need Change YES I agree completely, But pardon the Comparison, It reminds me of When Vista was first released, Very little was finished but the polish.
The usability was almost impossible.
I was an earlier adopter of Vista, and I Dual Boot just because of Gaming. Otherwise I have no use for Windows....
It's taken them almost 2 years to get it where it's decent and I highly prefer it to XP.
Why the Polish and ease of use, but it was rough at first.

I "LOVE" the polish of KDE 4 and the Toys "Widgets" it will provide, But I think they should have held off releasing it to the general public and not make the same mistake that M$ by to early of a General Release.

Until the time that it was more User Config Friendly then it is now.
And risk losing the Publics Opnion of KDE being a friendly easy to use Linux Desktop.

That's why I downld the Mint 5 CE to use for awhile until they get some of this Ironed out.
Am I looking forward to using KDE 4 you bet, just not right now... :wink:
I "NEVER" discuss 3 things......
Religion, Politics and the Great Pumpkin!
"Linus" from A Charlie Brown Christmas...
Wenches_Master
Level 1
Level 1

Postby changturkey on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:55 pm

4.2/4.3 is the sweet spot. I tested Amarok2 and it is great.
changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mikademus on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:17 pm

I come from Mandriva, which 2009 defaults to KDE4.1. Though I love KDE I was at first sceptical since KDE4.0 wasn't desktop ready in my opinion. However, I was very, very surprised indeed. Mandriva 2009 with KDE4.1 (actually, 4.1.3 atm) works extremely well. It is fast, feature-complete, efficient, beautiful and a joy to use. The bugs that were to be found were generally small stuff like minor graphical glitches (f.i. some system tray icons that should be transparent weren't, or the other way around).

So I certainly think that the time has come. KDE4.0 wasn't ready, 4.1.3 certainly is, and 4.2 I think will be excellent, with the release edition of Amarok2 and K3B. I think KDevelop4 will be released with KDE4.2, too, but those guys aren't always on schedule :)

I also have a totally tangential idea. Since KDE's default tone is blue, whicle Mint of course is green, couldn't the Mint KDE edition be called Cool Mint (or Kool Mint for bonus KDE points), which is generally blue?
Mikademus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 am

Boo, take a look at the Lancelot menu system. It's *very* nice, unless you plan on writing new menu's from scratch. I read a review of KDE4 where they said when it came time to decide on menu's, only Suse had a complete system so the devs picked theirs to be default. Lancelot are way better though.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby debug on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 am

Hi,

I've just downloaded and have been running a Felicia RC1 Live CD session, and want to commend the great job you guys have done. I just had one small suggestion regarding the window minimize and maximize buttons which look like down/up arrows, and is sometimes confusing with folder navigation.
I'd like to know if this is a default KDE thing, or if it can be modified to look like generic min/max buttons in the default release by just modifying the theme.

Just so that you know, I'm using KDE for the first time (have used only Windows/Gnome before), and maybe that's the reason why I find it a bit counter-intuitive.
Maybe it just needs a bit of getting used to, but having default _,[],X buttons would also be really great :wink: !!!

Debug.
debug
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:11 am

Install Fusion-icon (via synaptic) and run it, then Reload Window Manager and compiz should be running. Then you can modify all your Emerald settings (install Emerald if it's not installed, I forget) to get whichever Emerald theme appeals to you.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dafi on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:25 am

I don't think that you have to install fusion to change the icons. I think you could change them in the control center, can't you???
(sry no kde4.2 here only 3.5)
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 am

Maybe, but there's no option that jumps out at me saying "click me! click me!". Installing fusion-icon and having it load automatically gives you options right from the taskbar -- no searching required.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Pito on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Yeah, I think that KDE menu is a nightmare and that Freddy Krueger is inside the code of this non-sense menu.
I agree with locutus, lancilot is better, but i love the mint menu: easy, clear and usefull.
If is not possible to have the mint menu in kde i vote for lancilot.

Pito
I hope not to die under Berlusconi. Not for my age because I could leave tomorrow, but for the fact of having a little of hope about the life and humanity. I would say that Berlusconi is a man who don't gives hope.

Mario Rigoni Stern
Writer 1921 - 2008
Pito
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Pito wrote:Yeah, I think that KDE menu is a nightmare and that Freddy Krueger is inside the code of this non-sense menu.
I agree with locutus, lancilot is better, but i love the mint menu: easy, clear and usefull.
If is not possible to have the mint menu in kde i vote for lancilot.

Pito
I agree on both counts, in that same order!
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby anthony2010 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:19 am

Hi boo.

ok, Ive been running this mint 6 KDE since it came out and to all intents and purposes it runs really well, so much so, I do not envisage using another os on this desktop machine. Its that good.

Ive been thinking about what I use my windows laptop ( other machine) for. I only use it for things I -as yet- cannot do with Linux. They are:

1) Connect my Nokia 6680 or my Motorola V70 mobile phones so that i can add / remove media from those and

2) Connect a samsung yp-q1 mp3 / 4 player and do the same.

I tend to buy most of my music online and it just bugs me a bit that I have to use windows to put the purchased music on the player! With KDE I see an opportunity to place before the public one sexy, good looking and extremely useful O/S. It is my belief that appealing to 'Geekdom' with Linux is no longer valid. This operating system, whilst in beta, is practicaly ready to go but I think we need to think a little about younger users who enjoy music on their players. In fact digital media / device compatibility is probably the only thing missing. I have a young son and we are always out with the digicam making stupid movies but they mean a lot to us and it would be so cool to take those movies off my desktop and put them on the player.

I loathe banging on about what this O/S doesn't do, especially when one considers how well it does all other things! Im just thinking ahead with respects to actually unleashing an o/s so people really, truly have a choice. Until every aspect of the MS o/s is covered, we will stay behind. The philosophy behind everything Linux holds true but as yet we appear to be just one or two small steps away from a really valid alternative. Device support I feel needs to be given some thought.

Thanks for every brilliant everything thus far!

Anthony.
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Psibernetic on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:31 am

KDE4 is amazing and looks great integrated into Linux Mint. I have only a few issues.

1. Scroll bars will not display properly with a grayed out area or the position marker falsely sitting at top of the bar.
2. Static looking display before some programs load or on occasion even the right click menu in Dolphin (May be on my side with drivers and such let me know if you think so.)
3. Widgets in Firefox are too big sometimes and transparency should be used less sparingly if possible
4. Plasmoids still like to crash, KDE Twitter mainly, but others still crash it.

Let me know if anyone is contributing to these in any way, I would love to assist in any form possible.

--Psibernetic
Psibernetic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 am

Those with the ppa repo enabled will find KDE 4.2.2 is now in it.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to KDE