Switching from Gentoo - Update questions

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Switching from Gentoo - Update questions

Postby Martux on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:09 am

Hi there!

I am a long-time Gentoo user and just bought this new laptop, a Samsunf SF510.
I don't want to go through the hassle of installing Gentoo on this machine, so I decided to give Mint9-KDE edition a try.
Well, what concerns me most right now:
How do I update crucial apps like KDE, QtCurve, Amarok to their latest versions? KDE-4.5.4 for example?
Is there a possibility to constantly update this box (like "rolling") as I am used it from Gentoo?
If not: Please answer this: How do I update to KDE 4.5.4?
Thanks in advance, I am here to stay as I installed Mint on several other machines and liked it more and more.
Martux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Switching from Gentoo - Update questions

Postby ArcherSeven on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 am

Mint's not like Gentoo and stays "stable" and, in some people's opinion, "out of date". It's not at all meant to be a rolling release, only the Debian edition is, and it's not gonna be very KDE friendly, so... sorry, but basically, afaik, you're out of luck. >.>
ArcherSeven
Level 3
Level 3

Postby eagleton on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:06 am

Martux wrote:How do I update to KDE 4.5.4?

It should arrive in the backports ppa sooner or later:
https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+arc ... lter=lucid
eagleton
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Martux on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey!
Thanks for the replies. About Gentoo: I used the last 4 years the so called "unstable" branch and never had a major issue which I could not overcome. With KDE: their releases are all marked as recommended updates. If you read their changelogs, you'll see that they work hard on bug fixing. I don't see the point in going through bugs I overcame 1/2 year ago.

I am seriously considering to install Gentoo on that laptop. It's maybe a pain to install but when it runs there is nothing like it, esp. the "rolling releases".

Thanks anyways, I really like the approach of Linux Mint to make it very usable for new users but personally I miss opportunities for an easy update path, with makes fiddling around with mint even more complicated for me.
Martux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TBABill on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:56 am

If you just want an easy install with rolling release and KDE, try PCLinuxOS. It's the best of all worlds in that respect. They drop new KDE versions very quickly after release from the devs. It's as simple to use as Mint and feels faster on my hardware.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Return to KDE